Hello all, first post! Be Gentle!

No_Masters

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all! After looking at a vast variety of classic bikes for sale I finally decided to pick up a 80' 400xs! I am not mechanically savvy at all, but I am hoping to learn with this bike. I was able to pick this bike up for 300 and it runs! I thought it was a pretty good deal. Anyway's to the issue. I noticed the changing gears is very loose. I cannot change into second, third, due to it being so loose it is not grabbing a gear! It feels like if I just tighten the bolt it will fix the issue. Anyone ever had anything similar to this? Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited:
Can you clarify what you mean by 'loose'? Also 'changing gears'? Do you mean the foot shifter feels loose and you can't get into gear? Have you tried shifting hard into it and seeing what happens? (Not like jumping onto it, just a bit of force)

Sorry, didn't have my morning coffee =). As in the foot shifter isnt catching on the gears, feels like its unable to shift and sort of hangs? If that makes any sense. I just bought the Haynes manual so I should be able to clarify shortly.

Well that might be bad (transmission is going), or it could just be a personal thing. (Your way of shifting. Not a romance thing or whatever)

Does it apply to both up and down shifts? Does it ever work? This is while moving correct?

Have you checked oil levels? This has to be done with the bike on the ground and LEVEL.

Also when it has 'engaged' does it seem to act normally? IE RPM's match speed?
Welcome!

Last edited:
Drewpy: Return pawl? Is that the spring powered device that sits pushing against the rod??

If so, do you know the basic symptoms of it fail?

No_Masters, the first thing you need to check is that your foot lever is seated well onto the shifting rod. They can get worn out if the PO drops the bike a lot (ahem) and the splines on the shift rod can fail. So first see to it that it's seating well on the splines on the rod and it moves up or down as soon as you put pressure on it. If it lags, the spines are shot and you need a new one.

if that is a fail then do what Drewpy said.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the information guys! I work two jobs so wasn't able to check the site when I got home yesterday, but when I leave today its off to the garage! Thanks for the help!

To better be able to maintence this bike, I am moving it into my room after work, that way I can watch the videos posted and do work all night! Damn not having a garage..

Looks like the shifter..if that is the right word for it, where you shift gears with your foot, has grinded down the where the shifter and clutch meet. so its just loosely going up and down and not catching a gear, any idea what part I would need to replace guys? Thank you for understanding my kindergarden knowledge currently and happy Monday!

EDIT: After looking on mikexs, first time on the site, its amazing! I believe its the gears, which I see 5th overdrive on sale there. I guess the correct term is the shift the gear change lever is slipping between gears and not catching a gear. Hope this helps all!

.... so its just loosely going up and down and not catching a gear, any idea what part I would need to replace guys? Thank you for understanding my kindergarden knowledge currently and happy Monday!
As a fellow kindergartener, I can only guess as to what part you may or may not need. However, I can provide you with the advice that all the most senior experts on here give:
"Post pictures, lots of pictures we love pictures!"

Back