Hello from Michigan noob gonna need some help :)

Rockrider

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I have purchased an xs400 maxim. Its my 1st bike and am very excited to work on this and get riding but I want to do it right. The bike has sat for god knows how long and is in lil rough shape. I got it running after draining the tank cleaning it putting fresh gas, used some carb spray, new battery, new oil, new wires and plugs, and changed the leftside coil which was not sparking. I got spark now but it still doesnt run right. So i have removed the carbs and I'm going to clean and rebuild them but after talking to a couple friends they are telling me to check the timing. Should I put the carbs back on and mess with timing or should I wait till i get kit rebuild carbs and see what happens? Just like to say this site seems really cool and Im looking forward to this project :)

Welcome fellow Maxim rider!

Definitely clean the carbs, and tell your friends that they don't know what they are talking about. :) The TCI ignition rarely has problems and never needs adjustment.

There are many threads here about cleaning carbs. I started a thread a few weeks ago with a link to detailed instructions. Dirty carbs are a known issue with these bikes. You will also want to install an in-line fuel filter before you put the carbs back on.

Service manuals are available for download here, and the search function is helpful. Most everything has been discussed here 3 or 4 times.

Have fun!

Cool thanks Dave. I just read a long article on carb rebuilding. It was very informative. I will be ordering the rebuild kit tomorrow. I am waiting till I get the kit before i tear them down. Gonna clean up a few things on rest of bike while I wait. Good call on filter I thought that too. I might also go look at a 1980 400 Heritage but that is a SOHC right? so some a lot of it is not interchangable?

Exactly what Dave says.

You can also look at these vids on carbs here
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6375

and just in case you need any info on the inline fuel filter
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7574

Yes, the 1980 heritage is a SOHC I believe. The engine is different, and so are a lot of the parts. But there are also quite a few things that will be interchangeable. If the heritage is cheap you could consider it, but otherwise I wouldn't go for it. If you're looking to use it for specific parts, have a look through the parts catalog in the sticky thread containing the manuals (also get a shop manual here ;) )

and we'll want to see pics of your new love child of course.

Rockrider welcome your just 20 minutes down the road from me,we`ll have to meet up soon.Maybe ride together this summer.Im looking for a riding pal.:thumbsup::bike:

Buy the herritage!! the more bike the better, but as willem said most of the parts are not interchangeable.

Heres before and after some work

Attachments

• 1367339066894.jpg
    1367339066894.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1367709750149.jpg
    1367709750149.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 1368141997056.jpg
    1368141997056.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20130509_192555_0.jpg