Hello from Wisconsin! 82 XS400SJ track bound...

beta_kevin

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been stalking this forum for awhile, but really haven't had anything to contribute until now.

Have been riding my one and only bike, a 1982 XS400SJ since picking it up back in 2010 and have enjoyed putting over 7,000 miles since. It has been a great bike with very few issues....besides being a cranking starter, a few dings and most of the fuse clamps breaking...oh well.

full

Anways, getting to the point...I've decided to get my XS400 ready to run at an AHRMA event. I've been going to the Road America event for years now, but never thought about my bike going on the track until recently. It just so happens that as of this year, 1982 XS400 makes it into the "vintage superbike" class, but I'm thinking for now I'm going to focus on the "Novice production light weight" class. With my bike still running front drum breaks, it fit's the period, even if it doesn't fit the model year cut off (1972).

So yea, lots to do in the next few months before I take my AHRMA racing certification course at Bob Burns Vintage Track Day May 18th at Blackhawk Farms..
http://www.motovid.com/product/vintage-all-levels-track-day/

Hopefully things go smoothly there and I get ok'ed to race and then take my bike to Gingerman in MI and Road America in WI.

I will be teaming up with a local shop http://www.retrospeed.net/ to help with the more complicated stuff as I don't pretend how to do anything beyond oil changes and fixing bad wiring.

I am really excited about this and of course a bit nervous of course. The thought of this being a horrible mistake has passed through my mind...a few times! The cool thing is, the owner of the shop I'm working with is also getting certified to race his CB750 at the same event, so I won't be totally alone in this adventure.

I'm planning to post updates here...so either it will be potentially inspirational or a cautionary tail....time will tell.

Wish me luck...call me crazy...all thoughts welcome :)

Kevin

Just go into it with proper expectations, knowing that there will always be bikes running that are faster than an XS400.

They won't let you run the bike in novice vintage production lightweight, they will check the frame to ensure it was manufactured pre-72. Pretty much for that class they have a list of usable bike models, and you pick one and build for that class. The XS is not on the list.

Vintage Superbike Lightweight is where the bike would run. As I said before, just go into it knowing that the bigger displacement bikes are going to blow you out of the water. The 450's, 440's, and the SR's will kick the crap out of our bikes unfortunately. Don't let that discourage you though, get out there and race it and have fun doing it. Putz around on the XS and catch the bug, then build a bike tailored for a better class after you get the hang of racing.

Make sure you follow that rule book, the tech guys let a lot slide at vintage races, but fellow competitors like to peak around and file complaints.

Wolfe_11B, I hear you loud and clear and thank you for the heads up.

I figured it would be silly of me not to do my research before committing serious investment of time and money into it, with the clear possibility of this simply being a bad idea....which honestly, it still could be.

So, with not knowing anything, I started to dig and one of the first things I found was, AHRMA has a mentoring program, found here:

http://www.ahrma.org/new-racers/new-racer-information/

Through the provided emails, I found a ton of info. I didn't really end up using the mentoring program as one would consider a traditional way, but still got a wealth of info and tons of contacts, all while learning more about what it will take to get my bike on the track.

At this point I was pretty excited about the prospect of this really happening, everyone that I had communicated with via email to this point was so positive and the passion for racing was clear, so it was hard not to rub off on me.

I also understood where my bike would fit, as you said...vintage super bike lightweight, which has quite a wide range of bike sizes and it is clearly fielded by experienced riders and well set-up bikes...so yea, I was a bit nervous about that...so much so that I was actually reconsidering this idea all together...at least for the time being and was seriously considering switching gears and simply taking a SuperMoto day class (bikes provided) instead as an intro to road racing, just to get my feet wet.

I spent the next few weeks continuing my research and learn as much as I could about racing my XS400 (which is clearly not very common in the states) by searching online and connecting with as many people associated vintage racing as I could and eventually started reconsidering the idea taking the leap and committing to modding and racing my bike, the only difference is, I switched my focus from superbike to novice vintage production. I know this doesn't make sense on the surface, but it seems some involved in AHRMA racing believe my bike falls into the "Period Like" category, and let's be honest, I would fit much better in novice vintage production as a rookie, then in the super bike division if you really think about it. Sure, there is still a chance that I won't make it past tech inspection (for novice production) or someone cries out foul after a race, but here is a quote from someone far more experienced on the topic, which seems to ring true by others I have spoken with....

"... If someone protests you for riding an illegal bike quietly take the DQ and then tell us about it and we'll all point at the person that protested you and laugh at them because they got beat by a new guy. And then we'll drink beer."

So yea, I've decided to take the chance and I'm figuring, the worst thing that could happen is, I get kicked out of Novice production and put into superbike and as you said, I'll enjoy a nice ass kicking....which is all good.:thumbsup:

Got my leathers off of Ebay $140 for the two piece and $36 for the gloves, which look a bit sketch as the felt has sort of disintegrated, but the leather is clean as ever, so it would seem to be a good buy.

full

full

full

Got a pair of $25 boots off of craigslist, but after looking at them more closely (after buying them), thinking I would get a new pair once I am race ready.

Picked up sliders at cyclegear.com for $17, along with a rear stand $60:

http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Rear-Paddock-Stand

and front chock for $80:

http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Roll-On-Wheel-Chock

Still need to get a new helmet as mine is not SNELL rated.

Yeah they will let you run in any class, it's after the race that's teh issue. One thing to do if you go that route, is to make sure you don't interfere with the finish results in anyway, and they will leave you alone. What I mean by that is, if there are 3 people fighting for the finish and you are a lap behind or something like that, don't block them ;)

It will be weird your first time out there, since they run a lot of classes at the same time in some races, so you'll have crazy fast bikes passing the slower classes. You'll learn all about it when you train. It's just a little ettiquete that goes a long way.

You are going to have fun, don't fret about it. All the guys doing vintage racing want you there, it's boring with very few competitors, and it's been declining in numbers lately.

Yeah don't use those gloves, you'll regret it on your first fall and those worn areas take out your skin.

I saw those leathers on ebay, I was going to grab them but got a free set from a fellow racer. Mine are actually the same as yours, just branded by a different company. They will work to begin with. Have you asked around on any of the race forums? Most guys upgrade gear fast and are always willing to help out the new guy with free hand-me-downs. Could probably fetch a nice set of gloves and even a nice Snell helmet for next to nothing.

The only other forum I have been on is: http://www.caferacer.net/, but I haven't really spent much time there so far...but I plan to as things progress on this project.

The glove do look a bit wrecked, but it's just the felt bits...the leather is 100% perfect and that's what matters the most I would believe. I plan to cut off the felt bits that are left and run as is.

The suit is a bit long in the arms and legs for me, so I'm probably going to have them shortened. I found a local guy that has experience modifying race leathers...granted some of his other pieces are bit...:eek::eek::eek:, (maybe NSFW...http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/leather-tailor-milwaukee?select=lYouwXSiu3bH13qHFQR_Rg ,but hey who am I to judge :shrug:

Reality is...I also have to loose a few pounds to be more comfortable in the suit..pretty tight around the mid section...LOL! My wife won't admit to this, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons she is being so supportive of this :laugh:

Also, don't you have to have some sort of back protection?!?...Pretty sure that will have to fit under the suit as well...oh dear!

As for helmets, I'm probably going to just go with a new one...why mess around with something like that. I'm been eye balling the this one and will probably pull the trigger soon: http://www.cyclegear.com/SCORPION-EXO-R410-Solid-Full-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet $140, plus I have a 10% off coupon for signing up for the email newsletter...seems decent, but of course I am open to alternatives if anyone has any.

Not alot has happened to the bike since my last post, but parts have been ordered, which includes new sprockets for shorter gear change ratio, brake cable, handle bars, clutch and break levers, chain, pod filters, intake manifolds and probably few other things I'm forgetting.
Right now the hot topic is the engine oil breather/catch tank, which is required for passing AHRMA tech. Not a lot of options out there for motorcycle specific catch tanks, mostly for cars and they are pretty big. So I'm looking to make one. The photo give you the basic idea, but there will be some slight differences, like the bottom will be a screw off cap and there probably won't be a welded bracket, thinking of using fork ear headlight brackets instead.

Once the mods start getting put on the bike, I'll be sure to post pics.

:)

You may want to email tech about the catch can. If you stick with the XS400 setup, you shouldn't need one since it doesn't vent to atmosphere (which is what the rule is applying to).

What kind of intake/manifold do you have planned? Ought to be a way to vent the breather back into the intake like the stock setup.

I would stick with the stock H-pipe and pod pods on that. The bike will tune much better. Also look for K&N or uni filters, most others are total junk.

Thanks for the feedback! Yep xschris, removing the air box and switching to pods, so an alternative catch tank will need to be installed.

Thanks for the feedback! Yep xschris, removing the air box and switching to pods, so an alternative catch tank will need to be installed.
The goal is to keep the H-pipe and add filters to the end. You can keep it while still removing the airbox. This will allow you to keep the recirculated breather system as well. The bike will run better with the H-pipe, and in racing, you want the bike to run as best as it can.

I'm going to put a sticky note on my monitor right now to remind me to do a run when I'm at the dyno with the h-pipe off. I'm dead convinced, after riding around the other day with it off, that the bike lost a lot of top end power. And that is with flat side carbs, I can only imagine the effects on diaphragm carbs.

Agree. I have tested most filter setups with and without one. It always starts and runs better overall with one. Check out my pic album on what I use on three of my four bikes. Keep in mind I do run xs360 carbs on them as they are richer running and easier to adjust.

4376-1375883337-c15290261011cadeb1b4981dff9734a7.jpg 5414-1399771148-87c4d5f137cf2388ec7aaae101b77d81.jpg 6399-1433460149-33245fe599d1cc41706bc8a181cc70af.jpg 6400-1433460149-6da398d3b1f01bef952c8ab0cdd10680.jpg 6404-1433460703-da27419662fcb152be624f8b24582788.jpg DSC03112.JPG DSC03113.JPG Some pics of what I have done. K&N made a fiter for the xs360/400 (RC130) back in the day but are hard to find now. You can use other filters with the correct size ID that will work also. I used the oem filter mount on a newer K&N fitler and fits great.

Thanks for the pics! Ok, you saved the h-pipe and vent hose connection from crank case, but without the hard case air boxes, would the residual oil not go directly into the filter and possibly drip out? If this is the case, then some sort of catch tank would still be needed to pass AHRMA tech inspection?

Back