Hello from Wisconsin! 82 XS400SJ track bound...

Here is an on track pic at Blackhawk farms raceway during the AHRMA licensing class. Look like a big orange pumpkin tooling around the track...lol!

So, this weekend is AHRMA Road America. I was hoping to make it to Gingerman last weekend, but it didn't happen :| So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for good weather at RA. Will be doing the track day Friday to help get familiar with the track. I was told the 3 track sessions you the morning of a race day are not really well suited for getting to know the track for a first timer...the 3rd/last session before lunch I guess is a total cluster f.... since everyone is on the track. So really you only get one or two track sessions to figure things out is a bit of a crunch. RA is also a beast of a track...4 miles and a ton of turns and elevation changes...so I'm sure my bike is already pissed at me knowing it's probably going to hit 90 degrees on Sat....:cussing:.

I've made a few additional mods to my bike, including safety wiring the pods, rear break nut and adding number plates.

I did make a silly error when topping off the oil. I knew it needed some as the oil level was right at the bottom of the window. I ran the bike and after about 1 hour of sitting, added oil. I could not see the oil level and though it had been sitting long enough. So I added oil, just a bit more then half way between the marks. The next day I looked at window and it was completely full :eek:. Guess I added oil too soon after running the bike and it didn't completely settle. Does anyone know if this is a big deal or not. I can't image there is much more then recommended, but considering I'm going racing this weekend, little things like this worry me.

My last modification before hitting the track is replacing my fork spacers and adding some fork oil. I am a bit freaked out by the prospect of doing this, but at the same time I know this is something I can do. My stock forks are obviously not optimal for racing and are pretty soft, so the idea here is to replace the existing spacer at the top of the forks with a taller, about 1" spacer (PVC pipe) and add about 20ml of fork oil to each. This is basically what I was told to do by the shop that did most of the initial mods to my bike and put new fork oil in with a small spacer.
All I need to do is put my bike on the rear stand and hang the front end from my garage rafter/support...just enough to release the fork compression. This will make removing the fork caps much easier. So yea, I'm going to do this tomorrow...the day before hitting the track....ha, nothing will go wrong...right??? *Crosses fingers*.

When I started this project, one of my issues was being a fatty...or basically fitting into my race leathers I got off of ebay. Well, I'm happy to report I've dropped from 210lbs. to 188lbs...hoping to hit 185lb by this weekend. My end goal is 170lbs...save the for Barber in October...ha!...will see :thumbsup:

No new photos at the moment, but will be sure to add some tomorrow, when the bike is completely ready.

I also picked up a 10x10 canopy off of ebay for $95...and not one of the side wall on frame work ones...I've seen how those can fail pretty quickly when the wind picks up. This one has complete expanding ceiling frame work, much stronger. I'm also making 20lb PVC pipe hang weights for each corner....it will not fly away. I've seen some people tie their gas cans to the corners, which makes sense.

Speaking of gas....something else I learned about my bike and have been failing miserably at is...using premium gas with higher octane...WRONG! Yea, I'm sure most of you know this and are shaking your heads right now...but I didn't :shootme:. I could have just search this forum and found "ethanol free 91" as the general best fuel option.
http://www.xs400.com/threads/best-octane-to-use-in-xs400.12621/

ok, back to the garage to finish things up for the weekend! Wish me luck :rock:.

Glad to see you are having fun with it! I wish more people would get involved. Are you going to mid-ohio for Vintage Days? You'd have a blast.

Glad to see you are having fun with it! I wish more people would get involved. Are you going to mid-ohio for Vintage Days? You'd have a blast.
I am interested in the AMA event in ohio, but am not yet clear on what is required to participate. With AHRMA you need to get a race license with a sanctioned instructor, but it's not so clear if AMA has it's only license requirement or if the AHRMA race license would acceptable.

This is more of lesser of two distance evils...AHRMA runs in New Jersey the same weekend, but is twice as far from Wisconsin.

Well.... it's been 2 weeks since my first official race weekend and I guess I needed that much time away from it to decompress. The months leading up to racing my bike were pretty intense...the prepping really did consume me, physically and mentally.

There is no doubt that my first race experience was a success over-all. My bike really did quite well, minus spitting out tach cable (which I just popped back in and was fine.).

There were many WTF! and OSH*T! moments throughout the weekend, but most of them where off the track. Fridays track day went fairly smooth, but Sat. morning was packed with stressful moments from the start. First had to finish up some missed safety wiring spots on my bike to pass tech, mostly in the front drum brake area. Had no drill press, so had to do it by hand with a vice clamp. Luckily there were no mishaps with the drilling and then it was off to the track. Of course I knew bring my wife and 7 month old son to my first race day was a receipt for additional stress, but I wanted them there and was feeling pretty good about my luck so far.
Well, my luck ran out as soon as I got to the track. Got there a bit later then I would have liked and then got stuck waiting in line for my tech papers, which I was informed I could have printed out at home, but I had no clue of this option, nor was it mentioned during the online registration I did weeks prior to the event. While waiting in line I could hear my practice group being calls up...but there was nothing I could do but just wait in line and be ready for the next practice session. Luckily I has the previous track day to rely on and basically knew the track at the point....it's still sucked though!
Once I got my tech papers we rolled into the paddock and found my 10x10 canopy destroyed. Guess the night before there were 70+ mph winds for like 5 minutes and that was enough take down my canopy and knock over my bike that was under it. At this point I thought my weekend was over with, but after a few minutes and talking with those that stuck it out over night and helped where they could with my canopy and bike, it was clear my bike was ok, even if my canopy wasn't. This was a perfect example of two things...one, never under estimate the power of nature and two never under estimate the kindness and helpfulness of strangers...my neighbors were just plain awesome and clearly far more experience at dealing with this stuff then I was.
Just to add to the stress though, while cleaning things up and getting my bike ready, I noticed some papers drifting across the paddock and realized they were my tech papers....MY TECH PAPERS!!! My wife had opened the car doors to keep it cool and my tech papers got picked up by the breeze and out of the car they went. Luckily was able to snag them just before the launched across the paddock and to who knows where.
Once I got everything under control and ready for the next practice session, I figured there was about 20 mins before I had to hit the track, so I took my wife and son down to a shady spot on turn #4 and of course my timing calculations weren't correct or I just simply missed an announcement for my next practice, because the next thing I know, it was already 2 call for my practice group and I'm about 5 min. from my bike....oh great!!! So give my wife and son hugs and kisses and bolt back to my bike...slap on my gear as I hear my group roar onto the track and I get on about 5 min. late...basically missing one or so laps of practice. It's ok though, I'm on the track and my bike seems fine....it's all good.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention, tech inspection....luckily, I had no issues with my bike or gear. As I mentioned before, my bike was really the least of my worries the whole weekend.
So, after getting my first practice in, for whatever reason I thought there as going to be a third practice, so I waiting by my bike and was fully leathered up and helmet on when I heard the announcement that were were breaking for lunch...what?!?!?...haha, ok...guess I would rather be ready for nothing then miss something.
With lunch behind me, it was onto the afternoon race. I would be racing in the Novice history production lightweight class, even though the cut off year is 1972 and my bike is a 1982. No one cared...that is unless I placed in the top 5 spots. It's a less intense class then my actual class which is technically Vintage super bike lightweight. The white and red number plates matched way better then the green and white of VSBL anyways...lol!
Think i was more worried knowing where to line my bike up and the start and the start itself, then the rest of the race as these were two things I had not experienced yet. It turned out ok and my start was actually pretty good. My bike wanted to pass a few people on the start, but I held back as I didn't want my novice self to be the cause of anything stupid...so I just held back and pretty much did that at most turns throughout the first race. I did have a little battle mid race which was fun and had some GP200 buzz by me in the corners...but could catch them in the straights...Road America probably has some of the longest straights of any road course. Which reminds me, I actually used a phone app. to get my speed, since my speedo was removed. Top speed was 90mph, which is just around the factory specs...which I believe is 87mph. I'm guessing the extra 3mph was the result of a down hill straight. Other straights were around the 87mph mark.
My first race was a great experience and I ended up taking 8th out of 12....totally happy with that!
Luckily, Sunday had very few surprises....besides there only being one practice session, which kinda sucked as it just meant less track time. Sunday's race I definitely let it hang out more, but at the same time was still reserved as I was new and didn't want to mess up. Instead of letting off the throttle at the 500/400 markers before turns, coasting and then breaking...I pushed it into the 300 ft. range and make quicker transitions from gas to break....little to no coasting this time and it made a huge difference in my lap time. Went from 3min 48sec to 3m 34sec...14 whole seconds or so....I was pretty happy with that. Was also involved with a pretty fun battle for 6th place with two other riders. I snuck up on one of them around lap #3 of 4 and passed them without issue. I guess this really burned them and by half way through the last lap, they got me back and then on the last turn another racer set me back to 8th...again! It was a great race regardless of my place...so fun! I did try to touch my knee down in the cool down lap, but it didn't happen...I'm ok with that...maybe next time.

Back on the track again...this time in AHRMA - New Jersey. Interesting turn of events got me a ride out east with some folks from ChiVinMoto http://chivinmoto.com/wordpress/. I was curious about both the New Jersey event and the AMA event at Mid-ohio (half the distance). After discussing it with multiple folks and seeing where the cards fell, I decided against Mid-ohio, for two reasons...one I heard the New Jersey track is in much better shape than mid-ohio and second, I had a ride to NJ. As far as events go, mide-ohio did look far more interesting...but in the end, I am going to race, so NJ was it.
It was pretty amazing how things fell into place. I started out simply fb messaging someone to see if they had space or if I could follow them to NJ. They had no room, but knew of someone that's plans fell through as a result of someone else not being able to go. I then contacted that guy and he was game, but we had an issue with vehicle towing his enclosed trailer with two bikes. We eventually found a open trailer that could work and were set. Then, the guy I originally contacted had to back out and that opened two spots (bikes and riders) in a sprinter and enclosed trailer. So we suddenly had an upgraded ride for the 900 mile ride. We also took over the rented garage spots and hotel rooms above the garage...:rock:. I don't know how many tracks have hotel rooms above track side garages, but this was pretty sweet!
Another perk was I didn't have to bring any tools...everything was taken care of...just bring myself, my bike some nibbles and of course a quart of oil...lol! It was clear I was getting way too spoiled for a rookie....but I'll take it!
I strategically positioned my bike next to a fan...which would be key to surviving the crazy heat and humidity waiting for us at New Jersey Motorsports Park.
It was insanely hot and humid...the track loved it and our tires loved it...the the riders, not so much.
Friday was a track day... three sessions in the morning and three in afternoon. I almost crashed twice learning the track, with the same spot getting both times. It was a closing radius turn. The first time I simply turned in too soon and cut across the track right into sand, grass and then the track again. When I hit the track again I was not going perfectly straight and the rear end kicked like a mule and I'm pretty sure I was off the ground for a bit before landing and luckily riding it out...close one. The second near crash was following the rider in front of me into the same turn too hot. I had to put on my rear brakes in the turn so not to hit them and my rear end started to slide out...once again I was able to right the bike and ride it out.

I'm pretty sure both of my near crash experience played on my mind Sat. and Sun. and probably for good reason, I'm still new at this...why try and kill it out there...just make it around the track is enough right?!? :bike:

Sat. and Sun.'s races were great experiences...though I was unable to pass the one person I really wanted to beat. Sunday I spent half the race trying to figure out a safe pass, but it never happened and I ended up getting passed two bikes behind me! doh! It was still a great battle and I learned a lot.

I did also try for the first time ever...clutch free up shifting. I was scared to do this...mostly because of possible damage to the bike, but lots of folks have been saying older bikes like mine can handle it with little issue. Of course there is those that say it's not worth it. Jury is still out on if I will use it regularly, but I did find it pretty cool to execute.

I had an amazing time my second weekend of racing. Well, except for one part... it wasn't the multiple near crashes I had or the fact that I took last place on Sunday in Novice History Production Light Weight. The part that bummed me out was getting an ear full from a fellow AHRMA member about not following the rules when it comes to my 1982 XS400SJ being in novice historic production lightweight, it should technically be in Vintage Superbike lightweight class (bikes like the Honda FT500 Ascot.). I have never met this person before, but it was clear he was very passionate about the rules,vintage bikes (think he's a bike builder?) and put a few drinks in him, very willing to toss f-bombs on anyone not following the rules as he sees fit.
I should also clarify that prior to Friday's practice I did discuss my class choice with the race officials and class competitors from whom I got the ok to be in the class as long as I didn't expect to get points. So basically, I did my due diligence to be transparent about me illegal bike.
After getting berated, part of me was smiling as I finally got to see the drama side of AHRMA racing, which I heard of, but had yet to experience. As weird as it my sound, being part of the drama made me feel more apart of the AHRMA racing experience and it gave the folks I was with something to discuss and in the end laugh about the rest of the weekend.

The experience did get me thinking about the "Novice Historic Production" class and how it could be improved and more inviting to new racers...I mean really, who's got a pre-1973 motorcycle just laying around to throw on the track...not too many people. AHRMA has moved away from strictly vintage bike classes and to have a "novice" class requiring such hard to find bikes/parts seems extremely odd, if they have any interest in growing. A "novice" class should be open to all production bikes/years AHRMA has in other classes as a portal for new riders to go thru before entering a competitive class. There really should be no winners or losers in the "novice" class, but simply the opportunity to race against similarly experienced riders before making the jump and committing to bike mods and all the extra costs associated with racing.

So yea...ready for the next race weekend!! :)

You were bound to get hassled eventually, just shrug it off and move on as they say :)
Yea, I wasn't really shying away from the fact either. Makes me chuckle just thinking about the ridiculousness of it all, specially because there is a huge difference between the 1982 yamaha XS 400 DOHC version and mine...about 17hp difference. Guess a clarification of which model XS400 actually fits the class is needed.

The sohc made 38 and the dohc made 42. That is what data sheets from the day said. Don't think anyone has put one on a dyno. Most mods (pods and open pipes) actually will de-tune the bikes over all.

The sohc made 38 and the dohc made 42. That is what data sheets from the day said. Don't think anyone has put one on a dyno. Most mods (pods and open pipes) actually will de-tune the bikes over all.
Interesting...this is where I found specs.
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_400_dohc_1982.php
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_400_1982.php

I can't image after seeing other bikes like the Honda FT500 Ascot with CB600 forks and duel disk breaks in the superbike lightweight class that they were thinking of the XS400SJ when adding "XS400" to the class.

The spec sheets I looked at were from Yamaha. I bet they think you have the 82 dohc seca xs400 which was a much faster bike than the sohc 82 xs400. There are two xs400's for the same year. You should have told them it was a 81.

The spec sheets I looked at were from Yamaha. I bet they think you have the 82 dohc seca xs400 which was a much faster bike than the sohc 82 xs400. There are two xs400's for the same year. You should have told them it was a 81.
Yes, the seca version is what I assume they had in mind, they (AHRMA) just choose to not clarify it in the rules and I'm too much of a newbie to realize the differences, at least when I started down the road to racing my bike. So the only difference is 4 or so hp between the SJ are R versions? My top speed is pretty much to the bikez.com spec which is 87mph...I got 90mph at Road America, but I figure that was because I was going downhill on that stretch of track. I don't have a speedo on the bike, but I did run my endomondo gps app on my phone. The seca version's top speed is 100+, along with it's ergonomics, etc...makes more sense then my bike...or should I be able to achieve that speed?!?!

The real bummer in all this is, I really enjoy racing my bike....so fun and it fits so well within the Novice history production class...minus it being 10 years newer then the 1972 cutoff. It's a shame xs400's weren't built in 1972...then this would be an issue as I could sneak in as "like design".

In the end though, if I make any more AHRMA events (minus barber), I will continue to race in Novice historic production...as long as they let me ;)

LOL awesome race shots! But man, I live in NJ and driving to Millville is already a hike for me! I cant even imagine from WI. Me and my buddies always flirt with the idea of going to the Superbilke races down there and never make it.

LOL awesome race shots! But man, I live in NJ and driving to Millville is already a hike for me! I cant even imagine from WI. Me and my buddies always flirt with the idea of going to the Superbilke races down there and never make it.
Thanks :) Yea...it's pretty ridiculous if I sit and think about it too long...but it just sorta worked out. Love taking my bike out on the track and going head to head with similar bikes...so fun!

Not sure If I will venture to any other far off destinations anymore this season...thinking of simply doing "track days" at Blackhawk Farms, which is only about 80 miles from me. Sure I'll be surrounded by modern street bikes, but no matter...I can simply focus on me, my bike and the track :)

Back