Helloo from Toronto!

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for providing such a wealth of info here on the forum. I've just picked up my first bike and I'm looking so very forward to getting out in the spring. '79 XS400 that has definitely seen some action, but has plenty left to give. It's currently with a pal who's taking care of the first tune-up as I don't have access to a garage in winter. I'll be going to see him on Saturday for a run-down of what needs doing. Definitely needs a flushing, some carb cleaning, new tires, and a new battery. I'll likely be picking up most of my info from lurking around on the board.

The previous owners had it in the family for about 10 years. The father had just come back from a Pacific Coast Highway trip and his father (68 at the time - and not a rider) said he wanted to join him for the same. They picked up the bike for him to learn on. Once he bought a bigger beast, the bike went to the son to learn on. He took it down to Dragon's Tail with his dad when he had enough experience. As you can see, he flipped/dropped the bars somewhere along the line.

Anyway - it's mine now and I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 195
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 179
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Nice to see another Canadian and another '79!

Are you planning on keeping it a stock cruiser, or going for cafe?

I've learned more from this forum than I ever thought possible. Definitely a great starter bike with a resource like this!

I'll be keeping my eye on a fellow '79 builder!

joel

Welcome to the forum:) Looks like a nice stock bike. I would keep it that way if it was mine:bike:

Thanks all!

Joel - will be keeping 'er stock for now. At least until I'm a little more comfy with things. I think the drop bars adds just enough flair to keep stock interesting.

Can't wait to fire it up on Saturday - provided my pal's already done some work...

B

Finally got to fire it up and have a seat. Looks like she's gonna need a carb cleaning, a new rear left turn signal, new tires, and possibly some new filters. Other than that everything's looking great - no spots in the tank, everything else intact, etc...
A few more eye-candy shots:

Attachments

• IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 10952413_10205192783893228_7517787344181900394_n.jpg
    10952413_10205192783893228_7517787344181900394_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 170
Nice looking stock bike. I was also advised to keep mine stock from the guys here and I did. It sure gets a lot of interested ppl commenting on it at the bike and car shows.

BTW I think you meant "wealth" not "dearth".

Hey McGruff - the thread's a little old, but only from the beginning of the year. I haven't even had it out on the road yet. Just waiting on a pair of air filters and a safety certification and I'll be good to go. Would love to get together sometime this summer!

There are a number of members in southern Ontario. I'm close to Kitchener. There was a member in Woodstock, one in Ayr, etc. I've seen a few XS400's in Guelph, especially at Royal Distributing's cruise nights. I even saw another XS400 in Port Dover last Friday!

Back