Help to lower bike

namvt91

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have the xs400 maxim with the mono shock under the seat. Does anyone know a inexpensive way to lower the bike like a inch or so. I would like to flat foot the bike and has of now im on the palm of my feet.

I haven't seen the shock mounts for your Maxim but here are some quick ideas: cut and re-thread the shock shaft. Drill out the shock mount so the shaft passes though the mount and weld a bolt to the back of the mount. Remember, to lower an inch will require very little change in your shock length. To get the right length strap a zip tie on the shaft against the shock housing and compress the suspension until you get to the desired height. release the bike and measure the gape between the shock housing and the zip tie. Again, I bet it will be very small.
I am sure someone else has lowered their Maxim and will have better advice.

I don't know anything about Maxims, but I'm thinking that about 6 months committed to a really, really poor diet and no exercise will have you flat footing that bike with the current suspension settings.

I don't know anything about Maxims, but I'm thinking that about 6 months committed to a really, really poor diet and no exercise will have you flat footing that bike with the current suspension settings.

Worked for me :thumbsup:

I thought most shocks have the ability to be raised or lowered by something like an inch by simply adjusting the dampening. No?

Houghmade's advice is probably your best bet :p

This really does work however if you go this route you might find yourself lonely as most women prefer built guys. (im living proof).

A healthy diet and about 6 months in the gym building muscle mass will do you better as muscle is heavier than fat. :D

Fine! It looks like you're going to have to get jacked. Doritos are so much cheaper than lean meats though :(

:laugh:
Fine! It looks like you're going to have to get jacked. Doritos are so much cheaper than lean meats though :(

so true and thats why i am 30 lbs overweight!! Too much beer and doritos with homeade cheesy, meaty, salsa dip. :doh:

This really does work however if you go this route you might find yourself lonely as most women prefer built guys. (im living proof).

A healthy diet and about 6 months in the gym building muscle mass will do you better as muscle is heavier than fat. :D

I've been married for almost 19 years...we're both too tired to look elsewhere, so I'm not going to be lonely.....and I like my foods deep-fried.

I've been married for almost 19 years...we're both too tired to look elsewhere, so I'm not going to be lonely.....and I like my foods deep-fried.

Been married for 5 years and gained 20lbs, she continously calls me fat. All i can say is "yup, thanks to your good cookin, and you have to live with me". :D :laugh:

Been married for 5 years and gained 20lbs, she continously calls me fat. All i can say is "yup, thanks to your good cookin, and you have to live with me". :D :laugh:

sorry we kinda went overboard and way off topic with this...

The adjustment on a shock is for the spring preload. It may have a slight effect on ride hieght but not much.
To set the preload have the bike unloaded, measure from the top shock mount to the bottom shock mount.
Now with a bit of help. Get on the bike dressed as you ride. Have some helpers hold the bike upright while you get in your riding position.
Have some one measure the the shock the same wy it was first measured.
If the preload is right there will be about 1 inch difference in the first and second measurement.
If more then adjust the shock tighter one notch. If less loosen one notch.
You can do the same on the front forks by adjusting the length of the spacer on top of the spring.
Leo

Back