Help with a Rotor Swap - Rotor Dims Needed

cinco

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some help with obtaining the dimensions to the stock XS400 rotors. I was hoping someone could measure the stock rotor for me (see below).

I'm in the middle of contemplating/doing a mag swap onto my drum equipped XS400. From a parts search I found on a 1979 that the front and rear rotors are the same part number (1L9-25831-00).

So I've got a Suzuki GS850 parts bike that has some usuable drilled rotors. This being a cheap skate build - it could save me about $60:D.

XS400toGS850RotorConversion003.jpg

Suzuki GS850 Rotor Specs:
- Outside Diameter = 275mm (10 3/4")
- Inside Diameter Hole = 55mm (2 3/16")
- 6 hole mounting bolt pattern is the same
- Offset (with rotor laying so it looks like an upside down bowl - measurement from rotor surface/desk top to top of mounting flange) = 20mm (13/16")

Stock XS400 Rotors Specs?:
- Outside Diameter = ?
- Inside Diameter Hole = ?
- Offset from Rotor Surface-to-Mounting Surface = ?

What goes here - a spacer? When I put the Suzuki rotor on the wheel it would sit on a ledge (see pic). If the rotor (Suzuki or XS400) were to sit flush against the bolt holes the amount of material surrounding the rotor mount holes would be dangerously thin - thus, I assume a spacer goes b/t wheel and rotor.

XS400toGS850RotorConversion002.jpg

If I go forward, I plan on doing a write up to help others. It'd include parts lists, pix etc.

Thanks a bunch guys:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well as I was looking through my Chilton manual I find this info:

Front Disc Brake Diameter:
- All UK Models = 267mm (10.5")
- XS400 SG (3F9), SH (4R4), SJ (14V) = 267mm (10.5")
- All other US Models = 257mm (10.1")

HOWEVER, a parts search does NOT back this information up. Every year from '78-'81 show the exact same front rotor (#1L9-25831-00) and the "78-'79 show the same number for the rear rotor.

So back to square one....:doh: Can someone still measure their rotor for me so this can at least be cleared up? And oh yeah can anyone shed some light on the need for a spacer b/t the wheel and rotor as shown above in post 1 and 2?

On a bad note - no love on my straight across GS rotor swap:(... Oh well, a little more learned.

no spacer on the wheel, the stock rotor sits flush on the bolt holes. The susuki rotor won't fit without modfication!

Thanks drewpy:)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna just drop the Suzuki swap idea. Just was hoping to save a few bucks here and there... Its easy for a few bucks/quid here and there having a way to add up in a sneaky sort of way:banghead:

I'm kinda surprised the rotor sits flush to the bolt holes as there did not appear to much material that would surround the bolt hole:eek: Like around a 1/16th" or a couple of mm...

Back