Henkie's yamaha xs360c A quick hello and trouble in motorcycle paradise

who is to know really. You could be lucky and somehow get two cases that have the same sized bearing surface or you could be unlucky and get two different ones the result would be an inconsistent oil gap which would cause rapid wear to bearings among other things.

Shaun

Hmm, is there anyway i could measure my luck? Would be crappy to have spent money on a part that I can now throw away, however it would be even worse to completly screw up the engine :s

they won't have just sent half an engine case?

contact the seller and tell them that its a matching pair!

That is exactly what he did.
Now i will probably have to get the old engine half welded.
I can try to send the part back but doing so will have cost me more in shipping than the part cost me (part: 40 euro's shipping: 21 euro's), buying the top half wil cost me an additional 65 euro's including shipping and then i would not have matching frame and engine numbers.

Thats to bad henkie, It is unfortunate that the seller won't see the error in selling half a crankcase. I see two options well three if you include buying the other half of the crankcase.

1) Weld the bottom of your cracked case and assemble the motor

2)Bolt up the mismatched cases and have them line bored for oversized bearings.

Number 1 sounds cheapest.

You could measure the crank and check the oil clearence with plastigauge but unless you feel comfortable with your measuring skills that is risky and could result in a destoyed motor.

To me the cheapest option is welding, as long as its done by a skilled welder it should be good. The top and bottom should be bolted together to prevent warping and heat input watched carefully.

I'm sorry if I would have saw your post before about the cracked lower case I would have recomended welding and possibly saved you alot of headaches and money. We don't build bikes becasue they are cost effective though, we work on them cause we enjoy it. Atleast I do. My bike is a money pit but it sure is fun :)

Shaun

Last edited:
Ok thanks Shaun :thumbsup:
I should have updated more regularly, you could have told me and I would have saved myself some cash and about a month waiting for the part :doh:
I'm an 18 year old student so my bike can't be a money pit, trying to keep it as cheap as possible but safe at the same time.
I will follow your advice and get it welded, I know A good aluminium welder so it won't be a big problem.

Best of luck to ya. I know they aren't cheap to work on.

My wife is realizing it would have been cheaper for me to buy a newer bike then do what I'm doing now. If you get to the welding and you have a question let me know you can send me a private message if you like. If your welder wants to know a good rod to use let me know and next time I'm at my shop I'll write it down.

Shaun

Back