HEY HEY!!!! From Madoc Ontario!!

Mana1ze

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :bike: ....
Just wanted to say a Friendly "Hello" to everyone...... Mana1ze a LOT of cool posts and pictures on here... Glad to be Aboard, thanks too everyone for the informative site....
You all have made such excellent contributions, from Newbies too Veterans....

anyways, a little about me....
my name is Sean, I live near Madoc Ontario CANADA ...
I just picked up an 82 XS4 400 a few days ago,(Pics today, charging camera batteries) this is my second XS 400, and this one I am going to make into a Bobber.....

so I would like to Welcome you all on my Journey that will be under-way in the next few days.... I am hoping to post new photo's as the bike transforms, just to keep everyone on the same page as me..... Stay Tuned..... pictures of the stock bike coming in the next few hours.

Take Care everyone.....and I hope whatever you are working on , you give it your best..:thumbsup:

.... my name is Sean, I live near Madoc Ontario CANADA ...
I just picked up an 82 XS4 400 a few days ago.....
Hi Sean, welcome to the Forum.
Nice day to be working on the bike indoors. Looks like we are going to have a week of UK weather.
sohc or dohc?

Hi..
Thanks very much.... yes, beautiful weather for the Ducks here.. Lol.. excellent time to start a build...

from what I can tell , from the little bit of research i've done on the XS4, it's a Dual cam, with one inverted, so it should be very interesting. batteries are almost done, going to see if I have enough life to take some pics... please, don't mind the seat, LOL... it makes me Cringe....

I have been able to post 2 pics so far.... it is taking forever.... but I have one of the current bike(Blue) and one of my previous bikes(Yellow)

the color Red is FOR SURE in the final plans... I think Red offsets a bike Very Nicely... :bike:
But not as well as the piping on the current seat! How are you going to top that? :shrug:

PS - How's the foot healing? Did you get stung by that yellow&black SECA?

Last edited:
LOL... I know , the current seat leaves VERY MUCH to be desired, LOL... it's already off of the bike , and Never going back on haha...

Foots healed up nicely... only got stung twice, on the first day LOL.

LOL... it's already off of the bike, and Never going back on haha... LOL.

Never say never. Not even if you finally decide on a look like this?

Attachments

• Mana1ze's New Look.JPG
    Mana1ze's New Look.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 175
Never say never. Not even if you finally decide on a look like this?

while i agree this is a very nice bike.... but deffinitely not my style... and by the end of tomorrow, the seat wont have a frame to sit on... gunna make a custom seat for it.

BTW Thanks very much for this discussion we are having... it't nice to talk too someone with similar interests. other than my wife and kids . Lol

... it't nice to talk too someone with similar interests. other than my wife and kids . Lol
You have a wife and kids with interests similar to yours? Wow. You move in rare circles, methinks. :wink2:
I noticed your baby-blue-bike does not have an in-line fuel filter. That would be the first $2.50 I would spend and likely will be once you have read some of the carb boiling horror stories on various threads here. Avoiding having to do that is an interest we should all share!
I have 1st-hand knowledge on 4 subjects. Fuel filter, sprockets, battery boiling and over-torquing the oil filter cover. If you've yet to change the oil on a DOHC, ask me about 11 lbs of torque first - not what to do afterwards.
Not sure what style you are going for, but a couple of guys here have changed the already perfect ;) design of the Maxim and had it come out rather well. Bentwrench did his over twice and documented it thoroughly. Patriot's and Inuit's also come to recent memory, but I think there are others.

Last edited:
I do have an in-line fuel filter(correct, yet to be put on) but fill me in on these Carb Boiling Horror Stories.... the sprockets on it, I would say seem to be a good ratio... and what of Battery Boiling?? the oil was just changed 1 week ago today, with MAYBE an hour total on it..... However, I will be doing it again I am sure before too long.... so any tips you may have a I welcome greatly..... and yes, please fill me in now on the 11Lbs of Torque... incase I forget to ask before it's too lat...

I will be turning the Baby blue one into a Bobber.... I've always wanted a bobber since I was a kid.... and Now, I'm going to have one :) I found one bike perticular that I found Very interesting..... by a Gentlman named "Karlos" on here.... in the Photo's section....I think around page 30-ish...... it is one Bad Ass looking Machine.... but i am going to keep looking through the Photo's as well...for more inspiration.

... but fill me in on these Carb Boiling Horror Stories.... the sprockets on it, I would say seem to be a good ratio ... and what of Battery Boiling?? ... and yes, please fill me in now on the 11Lbs of Torque ... incase I forget to ask before it's too late ...
I haven't had to do it on mine thanks to the PO, but people have written about having to boil them up to 3 or 4 times in lemon juice to get them right. I think the really bad ones are cases where POs have stored it for years with old gas, no stabilizer etc. If you're lucky enough to have one with good clean carbs, get that filter on asap to keep detritus out - and the carbs on the bike, not in a pot on the stove. BTW, apparently spouses object to the smell so best to boil on a warm day when they are not home. :shrug:

The stock sprockets (16&35) are not bad by any means, and the bike performs fantastically. Some of us would prefer a lower cruising rpm in top gear if that is how the bike is mostly used. Swapping in a 17T makes a nice difference. :bike:
I had a computerized battery charger that is supposed to shut off when it's charged. Must have had a virus. Boiled it dry.
A big torque wrench used for changing tires will let you set it at 11 lbs, but it sends you a VERY weak signal. I cracked my cover, it leaked like hell. Part is NOT available anywhere because DOHCs almost never blow up.
I think all of my fun has a least been touched on in this thread (along with numerous other contributions from our colleagues): http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8550 :banghead:

If you love to read and want all the nasty details: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8626
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89711#post89711

well, I guess I must have got lucky on this buy then.... b/c the PO has taken very good care of this bike.... everything seems to be as it should, and it runs like a dream, even with the aftermarket Pipes that are on it...
The only down side I have found thus far is the location and length of the Shift lever.... way too short, and too tucked in..... which is causing me to lean more towards a suicide shift.:banghead:

All in all, it seems like I got an excellent deal on a bike in excellent running order.... haven't cruised on it much yet, so the thought of a 17t Sprocket, is not out of the question by any means....

and about the DOHC never blowing up.... that would be my luck, I always seem to find the Rare bikes , with no available parts....:banghead:...

ah well, the important thing is that I am now in the right place, and I have the wisdom of You and the others to guide me along.:thumbsup:

Ladies and Gentlemen..... Look at this .... XS400 Royalty is IN THE HOUSE!!!
WOW.... Drewpy..... It is a 200% Honour to have you stop in and comment on my post... I have read so much about you and the bikes you have built.... truly an inspiration...... and I Bow in Respect too You ...

Thank you so much for the Welcome... it's Great to have you Aboard this Vessel of Discovery and Customization..

Back