HEY HEY!!!! From Madoc Ontario!!

Just uploaded two new photos for progress report....

had a hard time getting the seat off... one of the bolts was spinning inside the seat, fortunately, I am not reusing the seat..... so it took a little prying , but I got it. lol

anyways, once the seat was off, this thing seemed to come apart fairly easily actually, all the nuts/bolts, and mounts are in excellent shape... so moving along with ease.
although I must note, there was 3 layers of rear fender.... is this common? and each layer had 4 bolts..... kind of a pain in the backside..... but also, due to the excellent conditon of fasteners , didn't take very long.

Still on the hunt for a decent seat, that is kind of slowing me down..... without the seat, I'm having a hard time invisioning the cuts too make.... but , I will prevail....

anyways, thanks for taking the time to catch up if you have..... if not, check out the pics, they speak for themselves .

Take care every one..

had a hard time getting the seat off... one of the bolts was spinning inside the seat, fortunately, I am not reusing the seat..... so it took a little prying, but I got it. lol
... Still on the hunt for a decent seat, that is kind of slowing me down..... without the seat, I'm having a hard time invisioning the cuts too make....
It sounds to me like that seat just doesn't want to give up on you. Maybe it's fate, destiny, karma. Don't fight it, it was meant to be yours ... :p

What happened too the other Post?? LOL

Yeah, I guess you are right... the Seat just doesn't want to let go. I think I'll keep it and hang it on the wall instead of burning it..... it is Kinda nice...

It sounds to me like that seat just doesn't want to give up on you. Maybe it's fate, destiny, karma. Don't fight it, it was meant to be yours ... :p

LOL... the seat that wouldn't die. haha...:doh:

ok, so I have just gotten the new seat and the springs for it....
now it's time to start cutting.:thumbsup:... I have a question .....
the roads where I live , are Horrible cracked pavement.... as I'm sure much of Canada is...
so I wonder , do i weld this thing up , turn it into a Rigid Frame:bike:, which I will likely have to fix over and over b/c the roads are so bad.... or do I leave the Mono Shock in, and try and work things out that way.....:banghead:

I have just about everything I need now.... 3 minor pieces left to get...

so now the real planning must begin.

Do you plan on riding it or waxing/fixing it? ;)

Despite my best attempts to avoid the rougher patched of pavement, at least once every week I manage to bottom out my rear suspension when hitting a bump on our lovely roads. I can't imagine the pain/stresses of not having a rigid frame...

For what ever that is worth,
Dave

Do you plan on riding it or waxing/fixing it? ;)

Despite my best attempts to avoid the rougher patched of pavement, at least once every week I manage to bottom out my rear suspension when hitting a bump on our lovely roads. I can't imagine the pain/stresses of not having a rigid frame...

For what ever that is worth,
Dave

so you're saying I should keep the shock then?? the last sentence kind of confused me... sorry

ahhh never mind... your little joke in the first line explains your point. lol...
that's what I was thinking too... keep the Shock, and forego the head-ache of Constant repair.... thanks for the input Dave :)

Lol... no worries Dave...
after I read the whole thing 4 times... I figured out what you meant.... it's all good... Lol... Today is going to be a Major construction/destruction day...
should have more pictures this afternoon.

ahhh never mind... your little joke in the first line explains your point. lol... that's what I was thinking too... keep the Shock, and forego the head-ache of Constant repair.... thanks for the input Dave :)
I think I would agree.
Quite apart from the fact that our bums were not designed for much of what we put them through, I doubt that the nearly horizontal mono-shock is there much for the rider's comfort. If there are bumps not transferred to our bums that's just a bonus.
The frame was designed and spec'd with the flexing part on purpose. I would think that if you replaced the mono-shock spring with a ridgid bar, the other tubes and their welds etc. would be subjected to stresses that were never intended. Are you confident that Yamaha engineers would have overbuilt the other frame members enough to account for them? As competitive as things were back then, I would say that once they included the mono-shock they would then have gone for maximum weight reduction.

Don't be discouraged from your overall concept though - I do like the idea of having a mono-shock working under me and, as an added bonus, lowering my tush onto a pillowy soft receptacle with seat springs underneath that. :p

" Are you confident that Yamaha engineers would have overbuilt the other frame members enough to account for them?"

I had indeed questioned that my self... However... with this being an 82/83 I almost wonder if they were not prepared for us to put the Ridgid Bar in.... I mean, they made it So easy....:thumbsup: and by 82/83 Choppers were pretty popular....

However.... I am going to go with the Mono-Shock Idea.....
now it's just to make the Final cut/weld plans before I dig in too it....
any tips??
I also made another post regarding the same topic.

Back