High speed highway riding

NRA-

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I see I'm not the only one who thinks the XS400 or 400 Maxim is a little rough riding at highway speeds.

After having ridden on several, several hour long road trips of over a few hours at high speeds, 60-85 mph, mostly 60s-to mid 70s, I found something that makes it not so bad.

Most of my last trip felt like I had to hang on for dear life. Now I've found it's not so bad if I lean forward a little. Sounds so simple I know. Seems you aren't catching so much wind which pushes you back, and your body moves independent of the handlebars, so you aren't fighting the effects of the winds driving the cycle left, or right.

Well, that's how it seems to me. Give it a try and see if you agree.

I used to ride a 900 Kawasaki 130 mph on the CA freeways and that felt comfortable compared to riding the 400 Maxim over 65. Actually that's why I got to riding so fast, it just felt so comfortable, stable, and solid on the 900, I didn't realize I was going so fast, and didn't want to slow down really when I did realize it. That's also why I got a smaller cycle. I felt it would be healthier in the long run.

Ride safe now, and enjoy.

I found the same results. Lean forward a little bit and it stabilizes. Now, I have euro-style bars on my bike so I lean forward already, but if I go too far (tucked in, cafe style) I get more wobble, so I find there's a sweet spot for leanage :)

I sometimes use the passenger pegs while riding on the freeway, it can be just enough of a change to keep you comfortable on longer trips. I typically do 70-80 depending on traffic (it just feels to me like anything below 50 is too slow).

I found the same results. Lean forward a little bit and it stabilizes. Now, I have euro-style bars on my bike so I lean forward already, but if I go too far (tucked in, cafe style) I get more wobble, so I find there's a sweet spot for leanage :)

The wobble is not due to your posture in and of itself. Reducing your profile will stabilize the bike at speed; less drag = more stable. Usually when someone is not instructed, especially on sport bikes that force a more tucked posture, they use their arms to support their weight. Adding excessive force to the handle bars dramatically effects steering and road/traction feel in the front end. Instead of allowing the steering/suspension to do what it wants to do (conform to road imperfections) you can easily force it to follow a path dictated by your inputs. Ideally your body weight should be supported by your abs and neck, not your arms. This is exactly why moto gp racers need to be very fit! A good trick to remind yourself to use your abs instead of your arms is to squeeze your thighs against the tank; give it a try next time you're out and see if it makes a difference! When these muscles become developed your wrist comfort and riding endurance will increase dramatically. :bike:

bcware - answers filled with info like that are why I love these forums :D I'll try it next time I'm on the highway. :bike: ...plus it might give me more reason to get in shape ;)

My riding buddies make fun of me for it (too manly to learn from someone else), but I actually bought a few books on sport riding techniques. I'd definitely recommend it. Even the MSF course simply does not cover a lot of important information related to cornering, posture, etc. Everything from the racing technique books applies to the street when you're driving at sane speeds as well. The other bonus is that you get a huge gallery of eye candy because they tend to be loaded with photos.

Oh, and when I see an 18 wheeler I keep my distance or pass it very quickly. I will speed and tailgate to stay out of blind spots and dangerous situations.

My riding buddies make fun of me for it (too manly to learn from someone else), but I actually bought a few books on sport riding techniques. I'd definitely recommend it. Even the MSF course simply does not cover a lot of important information related to cornering, posture, etc. Everything from the racing technique books applies to the street when you're driving at sane speeds as well. The other bonus is that you get a huge gallery of eye candy because they tend to be loaded with photos.

Oh, and when I see an 18 wheeler I keep my distance or pass it very quickly. I will speed and tailgate to stay out of blind spots and dangerous situations.

maybe if i feel daring then :) but your post on riding posture was excellent i must say so as well. will have to try this since i got drag bars now and thatll be paramount on a long trip.

Learned another and likely the most important reason for my unstable rides when I replaced my Front Tire! It made a remarkable difference! Thought it still had enough tread for a while, but it seemed a little dry rotted to me, so thought I don't need to chance it any more. It was also high in the middle from ridding with low pressure. So, if you are having stability problems, check you front tire. Sorry I didn't get this posted many months ago.

Since the tire change have ridden several times on the PA Turnpike at high speeds and it was much more comfortable, still no where near the stability of that old 900 Kawasaki! Loved that thing.

Hope this helps someone.

Good riding...

you guys ride with the 18 wheeler's on the main highways? im bettin id get blown off the highway if i road my bike out there :/

I wont do it period.Theres too many trucks on expressways around here.I live at the border crossing between canada and the US every other 3rd vehicle is a semi.:yikes:The only way id ever ride on the expressway is with a larger CC bike.
Another thing is to change your handle bars for different riding position.The stock ones suck.If you change your tires to more agressive tread design it would make a big difference also.

These are all great responses :thumbsup:

Keith Code's "A twist of the wrist" is an amazing read and can really help you to understand some of the more subtle physics going on between your legs :wink2: Highly recommended

I would also like to add that making sure your rear wheel is aligned is paramount. Over time the axle can un-align(even if only just slightly) and this will cause some the bike to not ride true. This can be felt much more dramatically at higher speeds, in the form of a slight wobble while on the gas. My guess is this is due to the wheel being unaligned and the rider correcting with front wheel inputs:shrug:

Yup leaning forward makes a world of difference. Especially for me being 6 foot 5 inches. I catch a lot of wind!

I don't really get too worried about trucks. Move to the outside of the lane and it's not a big deal. Just know what's around you.

Back