horn works! :)

226dark

78 2E
Reaction score
Yesterday I took apart entire front end (btw tapered roller bearings rock!). I got it back together (momentarily forgot to put flasher relay on, was about to get mad, ha). Anyway, after putting in brand New Old Stock Ignition switch (3 shiny new keys for my ride), new Main Relay (turn relay) and then Left Handlebar Switch the horn works!!

Before it would make a faint whine -barely audible - and it didn't much bother me. But unexpectedly after those 3 new parts . . .to my surprise!

I'm thinking it wouldn't have been turn relay and the flashers worked fine. Also don't think it would have been the left switch since old one tried to work, haha. Could it have been the Main Ign. Switch?

The slide connectors - Brown & Pink to the horn - I reinserted same as before.
I bought the parts during summer just for the sake of new; and shopping eBay mostly just came across them for reasonable price.
(As a side note, also NOS Socket Cord Assy even though all indicator lights worked fine - though they seem brighter --- prob. from cleaning out dust. I endorsed xs400 .com on one of paper inserts in the indicator lights, haha. :wink2:

It could be that when you removed the pink&brown (sounds dirty :bike: ) connectors, you removed some residue on them and thus making the contact cleaner and your horn got the power it wanted. Anyhow, great it worked out!

It could be that when you removed the pink&brown (sounds dirty :bike: ) connectors, you removed some residue on them and thus making the contact cleaner and your horn got the power it wanted. Anyhow, great it worked out!

Sounds reasonable and sensible but that's not it because last winter had the front end apart also, and sometime between even disconnected and made sure clean, so nothing different there. hmmmmm

My guess is that when you tore apart and reassembled the front end you fixed the bad ground for the handle bars.
The horn button and starter button ground to the handle bars. Some years had a ground path from the bars through a wire off the riser to the upper tree clamp bolts. Through the bearings to the frame. Fresh clean grease and bearings carry power better than old grease and rusty bearings.
Some years ran a ground wire from the left switch housing to the wiring harness ground in the headlight bucket.
Leo

My guess is that when you tore apart and reassembled the front end you fixed the bad ground for the handle bars.
The horn button and starter button ground to the handle bars. Some years had a ground path from the bars through a wire off the riser to the upper tree clamp bolts. Through the bearings to the frame. Fresh clean grease and bearings carry power better than old grease and rusty bearings.
Some years ran a ground wire from the left switch housing to the wiring harness ground in the headlight bucket.
Leo

I think you are right about the ground and being left Switch. Prob horn button. Although didn't fix but rather replaced the switch. And more for looks and horn not working didn't bother me, (it should have i guess, right?) signals worked. Haven't tested the old one and sometime i'll do that out of curiosity. Thanks!

Back