How do I get the exhaust off?

bigdog

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust system is unbolted from the bike and sitting beneath it, trapped by the mainstand, which is down and supporting the bike. How do I free it? It's all in one piece (obviously) and I don't want to cut it, which I read somewhere was a possible solution. I've tried separating the link pipe but it doesn't want to come apart.
There has got to be some simple way of jiggling it free which I just can't see. If it's really obvious I shall be annoyed.

The link pipe does come apart, or it's meant to. There's a tension collar you have to loosen, I believe. It's possible that it's gotten rusted stuck though. Try hitting it with some PB Blaster or similar.

I loosened the collar but the bugger wouldn't budge so you're probably right about the rust, which is hardly suprising considering where it's situated. I'll give it a blast with WD40 tonight and resume the attack tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Pb blaster won't help you if it is like mine was. If you can access a scissor jack from an import car, you can stick it between the 2 pipes and get them apart. Be careful not to sent the pipes though. I used wood on both pipes to push against. Hope this helps.

Sorted! I tilted the bike over to the left, lifting the right leg of the mainstand off the ground. Then another pair of hands (belonging to my wife) was able to slide the system under the right leg. I tilted it to the right, lifting the left leg, and the complete system slid under that leg and was free. Pretty straightforward when you've got help. Once away from the bike the link pipe separated easily. It's in pretty good nick considering it's 35 years old. Very little rust. A couple of small dents. But I doubt if I'll be using it though, I want a 2-1.
Thanks to both levdir and Ritchie for taking the time to help. Appreciated.

I'm working on fitting a 2-into-1 from a Suzuki GS500 right now; it seats nicely but exits inconveniently near to the center stand. I can report back once I've sorted a solution out.

Yes, I'll be interested to know how that goes. It's tricky finding 2-1's for the XS400 over here since Motad stopped making them. I've found a company that'll make me one. They've quoted £300 to build the system in stainless. I'm tempted. The bike's stripped down to engine, forks and wheels, so now's the time to get an exhaust sorted before the engine comes out and the frame and wheels go for powdercoating. Interesting times.

If you can access a scissor jack from an import car, you can stick it between the 2 pipes and get them apart. Be careful not to sent the pipes though. I used wood on both pipes to push against. Hope this helps.

I did this today. Thanks for the idea! I used the scissor jack from my Pontiac, wedged it between the pipes, and gently hammered on the link pipe while increasing pressure with the jack. It came apart easily.

Thanks so much!

Back