How to cover starter hole when starter is removed

fc10a3

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removed the starter, now there is nothing for the cover to mount to? What did you guys do, just fab a large block off plate. If so how did you mount it?

what i did was remove the brackets from the starter so you can get rid of the heavy solenoid. then i found two appropriate rattlecan caps and made my faux "starter" to mount the plate. its so simple that it slips your mind! I know i was thinking up all these elaborate fabrication solutions when all i needed was already in my garage

Attachments

• IMG-20110707-00164.jpg
    IMG-20110707-00164.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG-20110707-00165.jpg
    IMG-20110707-00165.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 1,363
Last edited:
freeze plug where the starter sprocket sticks through the hole is a good idea to stop oil from getting into the starter area. just measure it and go to napa or something and buy a freeze plug

Just bouncing around topics and came across this...

I just took out my starter motor and did a similar thing as dO-bOy, but instead of using spray can lids, I used 1/2" I.D. aluminum tubing as spacers on the two cap bolts.

I screwed those two bolts together, which of course lets the two caps slide up and down. To set the right distance, I screwed the cover back onto the caps and used a micrometer to measure the space. Cut the tubing with a pipe cutter, and voila! An "invisible" starter motor.

2nd on the expandable freeze plug idea works great. I have bone stock motor so shaving as much weight as possible helps the pony"s a little bit. doesnt cover the big space where the starter use to be but it doesnt look bad without and im going to make some kind of tool pouch to go there.

Attachments

• yam parts 001.jpg
    yam parts 001.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 844
Love the replies. A buddy said to me the other day... most inventions come out of necessity. Haha. So true.

Quick question... when you remove the starter to go kick only... do you remove the starter button and wiring? or are there other electrical things that piggyback that I need to be aware of??

I looked for a how-to, and other answer.. but found none... sorry if i missed it!
Thanks!

I too would like to find out if there are additional electrical wires or such that could be removed?

i'm still searching. our friends across the pond should see out posts shortly. ha. [fingers crossed] :laugh: :cheers:

however, in the meantime.. my research seems to be pretty plug and play?
remove starter components, gears, plug holes. so far in all of these postings - no one mentions anything about it throwing off the wiring.

I plan to snip wires and Frankenstein the original harness until i have the time to build a custom harness this winter - might as well learn as much as you can on your first RIDICULOUSLY lofty build right?

still would be nice to have an easy answer.
is there a "how to" on removing your starter making our xs400's kick only? :shrug:

The xs360 2-d xs400 2-E xs400 2-F all had factory set-up kick only wiring and block off kits for the stater:thumbsup: I would look at the parts catalog pics on the yamaha.com site. And I don't even live from across the pond:laugh: But what do I know:wink2:

And I don't even live from across the pond:laugh: But what do I know:wink2:

you know nothing according to the sig... :laugh: from all your help on here though i would think the contrary. and my across the pond comment was more on the timing of the posts and time zones - not lack of knowledge here. I've begun to love this site!

as for the other models. i'll have to do the search! do all of our xs's (kick or e-start or both) all have that compartment (or at least the cover) underneath the intake?

maybe i'll dabble with this today. yay for labor day! :D:D

Yes they all (sohc models) have the starter cavity. Its funny but sometimes other people get thanked for questions I have answered:laugh: Oh well, I don't claim to have all the answers just to help when I can. After owning and working on these bikes for almost 15 years I know a little bit about them:wink2:

there's ME in team though :bike:

HAHA. Aweseome.

To bring this thread back on point though... so once the starter is removed (and all chaing/gears/ etc that can come out) and freeze plugged the area. The wires are then snipped and trimmed and taped. And then you have a kick only moto (and about 8-10lbs lighter). Correct?

HAHA. Aweseome.

To bring this thread back on point though... so once the starter is removed (and all chaing/gears/ etc that can come out) and freeze plugged the area. The wires are then snipped and trimmed and taped. And then you have a kick only moto (and about 8-10lbs lighter). Correct?

Using the factory block off kit and taking out the starter clutch and chain gear all the electrical bits plus going to a 1.2ah gell battery I took off 20+lbs. Its the best and cheapest weight reduction you can do with this bike.

Back