How to cover starter hole when starter is removed

Using the factory block off kit and taking out the starter clutch and chain gear all the electrical bits plus going to a 1.2ah gell battery I took off 20+lbs. Its the best and cheapest weight reduction you can do with this bike.

awesome thanks drewpy for this answer!

:laughing::laughing:

Nice one guys:wtf: But really? Oh well I guess I am not needed here and others can do a better job of it. Thanks to all who have purchased parts from me sorry I can't do more but just getting a bit old hanging with the kids:banghead: So with that said .......

Last edited:
Nice one guys:wtf: But really? Oh well I guess I am not needed here and others can do a better job of it. Thanks to all who have purchased parts from me sorry I can't do more but just getting a bit old hanging with the kids:banghead: So with that said .......

aww Chris, just ragging ya!:D

Nice one guys:wtf: But really? ...

Sorry Chris. Just trying to fit in with all the witty banter, remarks, and comebacks on here ;-)

I should be nice though, maybe our family is neighbors. My dad is from Poughkeepsie. Ha ha. :thumbsup:

Back to the battery. I priced one at 23.00. That's about a dollar/lb for a weight mod. :bike: Not bad!

^^ awesome

so... to bring this topic back up.. I have some photos that i'll post shortly on this. but

elpincheboss - you ever build that toolkit area?

and has anyone ever remounted the top lid with NO starter pieces inside? I used the freeze plug idea to cover the hole and was wondering if anyone has come up with an idea to mount the lid with nothing internally...

cheers

Using the factory block off kit and taking out the starter clutch and chain gear all the electrical bits plus going to a 1.2ah gell battery I took off 20+lbs. Its the best and cheapest weight reduction you can do with this bike.

What is the factory block off kit can you send a link? also with removing your starter clutch and chain gear is that everything under the cover in this picture here
IMG_1253.jpg

No place to buy the "kit" The best you can do is to try and find parts from the bikes that it came with.

Here is what I did with my spare engine. I used a 1" 3/4 freeze plug and found the factory cover brackets.

Attachments

• DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 456
Going to add this to my "to do" list Sat as well. My bike is rewired and the elec start was left out anyway. Might as well ditch that heavy starter!

What is the factory block off kit can you send a link? also with removing your starter clutch and chain gear is that everything under the cover in this picture here
IMG_1253.jpg

I'd like to see if I can get some clarification on this also from the picture? I just got an '84 XS400, and over the coming months I'm going to start modding her and making her fairly minimalist with a bobber-ish theme, so I'd like the info on this also, please. Thanks guys.

PS: Been reading the comments on here and looking at the pictures of bikes, you guys ROCK!:thumbsup:

I used a freeze/welch plug and hi-temp silicone. The plug edges are slightly angled so if the plug comes loose from the silicone it wont fall into alternator cover but back into the starter motor space.

It's not the prettiest solution but neither am I.

Attachments

• starter hole plug.jpg
    starter hole plug.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 382
Thread necro!

Could I glue the stock cover down with high-temp silicone? I have a freeze plug to block off the shaft hole already.

Back