how to install new switch to the existing electrical wiring

vectred

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm cleaning up my wiring
and I decided to install the switch
I bought 2 in the picture nr1 for horn and start button
and I bought another 2 in the picture nr2 that have on-off-on indicator and headlights (off-position-low)
then bought 1 switch like in the picture nr2 but with on-off function to remove killswitch
1 also switch back through the beam function

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the diagram in question is this
can you give me some help? pleeeeeaaaaaase

Alright, go to this page http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4466
and look at the wiring diagrm posted by "jayel". It says XS400F in the top right corner. The one you posetd , I cant see what any of the words say.

From the XS400F wiring diagram,

For the start, take one side of the switch and ground it. the other end gets hooked up to the blue and white wire coming off.

Same thing for the horn, one side goes to ground, the other goes to purple.

For the other two, you should see how it all goes together when you take it apart and if you were able to get the start and horn working.

Let us know if youve got other questions once you get started.

thanks for the answer

at this address http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4466
in the first post of travis, the third attached photo is my wiring

for the horn and the start button is more or less easy or at least intuitive
(your answer took away any doubt)

the hardest thing is when I want to install a switch for the headlights
(photo 3 wires coming out: one yellow-red, one blue, one light blue-white)

my doubt is: there is no mass or negative?

or for the indicators, there are 5 wires: one black, one brown, one white-brown, one green, one yellow-red

and the last question is about the kill switch: there are 2 wires both red and white, to eliminate the switch is sufficient to tie the two wires?

thanks for your attention

For the headlight, are you using an ON-ON switch or an ON-OFF-ON switch? If its ON-ON, then I believe the blue/orange is the common, and then the green and tellow go to theither side for the high and low. Using the XS400 F diagram. I cant seem to see yours clearly on my computer and when I zoom in, it gets all blurry).

For the kill switch, yes, attaching them together would eliminate it although not having a kill switch isnt always a good idea.

for the headlights I'm using a switch on-off-on
but in the diagram you want to take in as there is no light switch (off-position-on). how can I install the wires?
sorry but I did not understand that it means common wire
and the indicators? how to install?
the green wire is for the indicator to the left to the right while the brown, the black wire should be negative, but the other 2 wires that are outlined are common? where do they go?

for the kill switch would like to put a switch off-on between the two wires

really thanks
you really help me

P.S. for the horn or start the new buttons that I bought two poles, just connect the one hand the positive and the other negative ... right?

tnx again
and sorry for my English, I am Italian ....

Ok, for the headlight ON-OFF-ON switch, your switch has three connections on the back right?

The blue/ red wire will go to the middle, the yellow goes to one side, and the green goes to the other side. Therefore when the switch is in the middle position (OFF) it is not making any connection. When you push it to one side it connects and turns on either the yellow or green.

Hopefully this makes sense, its always hard to explain over the internet.

For the kill switch, a simple ON-OFF switch will work fine and should just have two connections on the back. Connect those up and you're all set.

For the signals, I may be incorrect, so you'll have to give it a shot and try it out. If you're using a ON-OFF-ON switch, it will have three connections on the rear. One connection will have the green wire, and yellow/red. The middle will have the ground and brown/ white, and the third connection will have the brown and yellow/red.

Like this :

[Green & yellow/red] [Black &Brown/white][Brown & yellow/red]

those switches won't be able to handle the load.

you will need to install relays!

The main load is effectively switched by the relay and won't burn out the wiring or switch

check out my wiring how to

x mechnewb :thanks you were really really exhaustive explanations

drewpy: strangely in the lighthouse I found 2 relays connected to the wires of the low beam and turn signal
maybe I have to put some other relay?
otherwise I would you recommend this type of circuit?

x mechnewb :thanks you were really really exhaustive explanations

drewpy: strangely in the lighthouse I found 2 relays connected to the wires of the low beam and turn signal
maybe I have to put some other relay?
otherwise I would you recommend this type of circuit?

you need to check the rating of the switch, those are normally for Italian mopeds with 6v and weedy amperage

low beam relay is for daylight running with the engine on, turn signal is for intermittent circuit breaking to switch the 21w x 2 indicators on. I suspect that you still need a switch capable of handling the throughput.

The first one wont work (Theres actually a note in the ad saying that a relay wil be required)

The second one, im not sure of but it sasy they are for 7/8" bars.

The third one says its similiar to POSH. I bought my switches from POSh Japan and confirmed that they will work without relays.

x drewpy:
could you show me how to connect the wires to the respective switches?
in particular the turn signal and headlight (on my xs 400 special II, I have a switch that turns off the headlights OFF, turn the headlights on PO position, and ON turns on the headlights) I think this switch is not present on other xs 400

re-reading the topic, looking at the wiring diagram attached, proceed with the connections?

q33a.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

better resolution of the diagram

Back