I Got IT! '82 XS400j

petei

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My First Bike Guys! I picked Up my 82 XS400j today. super excited i'm looking forward to
a) Learning how to Ride
b)learning how to work on/ maintain bikes
c)learning how to restore/mod bikes
d)driving it accrosss Canada in August

Without further ado here she is, ain't she beautiful :D:bike::D:

Last edited:
Good choice for a first bike; mine is still teaching me about corning after many thousands of miles of riding.

The condition of the bike is good.

This forum is the place to learn about bikes. Keeping yours inside sets you way ahead of the crowd already. Many problems arise when bikes are left outside for extended periods of time.

I have the same tires and I am very pleased with them.

One thing - the gas line from the tank to the carbs - that doesn't look right. You may want to look for some proper gas line to replace that with (and add an inexpensive inline fuel filter for some added insurance. You don't want some debris from the tank stranding you in the middle of Saskatchewan...)

Also, as you know, your paint is not stock - someone has done a very nice job of filling in the "Yamaha" mounting brackets on the side of the tank. Looks good, though.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I'll look into fuel lines and filters. and as i mentioned before I also plan on replacing the swing arm bearing sometime this summer.

Thanks frwinks! I tihnk she'll make it, i'm going to do a couple of test trips around BC first thought. :)

Bentwrench, do you think these will do the trick for a fuel line and filter they are from xs650direct.com. and could i just cut the line and put the filter in between? and should i get hose clamps?

Attachments

• 20-0013.jpg
    20-0013.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20-4010.jpg
    20-4010.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 174
Congratulations! Nice looking machine.

On your test trips start keeping track of how far you can reaonably expect to go on a tank of fuel. There will be a few places on your trip east where you could run into long stretches without gas stations and may want to plan your fuel stops in advance.

As for the clamps; Well, you probably don't need them but you will be going a long way in August. Is it worth it to not spend an extra few cents on a couple of inexpensive gear clamps?

Agree with 63. That filter is the same one I run - it's a little tight because of the required bend between the tank and the carbs. If I was doing it again, I'd try to find a 90 degree filter (I'm sure I've seen one - maybe even on this site.)

That line definitely looks better. And yeah, some cutting with some heavy shears or a utility knife will do the trick. Measure twice...

:Thanks a lot huys you are awesome helps, bentwrench have you thought about the swingarm situation again I found this on boats.net it lists all the parts but it is pretty pricey i'll have to take it a part to find out what i need to replace. what do you think since yours is in pieces already.

oh and for about 30$i can get 500 filters link :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah, that bushing looks like it'll be a real pain to remove. Are you sure it's not the pivot shaft or something easier that's causing the play in the swingarm? How much play are we talking about here?

not much, i could probably take a video and show you guys. And no i'm not sure if its the bushing i'll have to take it apart and check. I just got the idea of bushings in my head because that was what the older bike seamed to have problems with. I'll take it apart over this weekend and check. It not like i can ride it legally yet (i need someone with me and my helmet is in the mail.....)

Nice!!! The J is the better bike by leaps and bounds IMO :p That is a damn nice bike. If you have any questions about the DOHC model feel free to shoot me a PM about it. There are a couple of us around the forum. Bentwrench is a fountain of knowledge about it too.

Oh, about the range of it. I have same tank/engine/bike/year/everything but the paint and side panels... I get about 130 miles before I switch to reserve.

awesome, thanks for letting me know you have one too. I love this forum but so few peple have the DOHC models knowing who they are is a big plus. I'm new to mechanics and motorcycle riding but i'm a fast learner (engineers have to be :))

I get about 130 miles before I switch to reserve.
Hi Petei. Are you mobile again yet? I just read this thread and thought I'd confirm.
I ran out of gas on my last tank. I had filled it to almost overflowing (mistake) and, as a result went a touch farther than Dan - 235 kms (146 miles).
It could also be because I am old(er) and rarely go as fast as 90 kph (56 mph). And at 155, I'm not as heavy as I imagine Dan to be - in my mind, he's as big as a Saguaro.

Last edited:
Back