New rider/owner '82 xs400j maxim

I just had a chance to watch the video. I noticed a few things:

1) The instrument cluster is not from a Maxim. The tach should have a 10,000 RPM red line and read to 12,000 RPM. There should be separate left and right turn signal indicator lights under each gauge. The ignition switch should be separated from the cluster and have a trim piece around it that goes under the bars (between the risers) and covers the steering head, no chrome trim, etc.

2) I may be mistaken, but there appeared to be some blue oil smoke when he was revving the engine.

Based on those, the mileage on the odometer isn't relevant. I'm not saying to walk away, just mentioning what I noticed. It still looks like a nice bike.

Dave

That is a good observation dave, he did inform me that it was not stock, the odometer actually says 12000 something, and actual mileage is around 42000. All of this was included in the ad, he is being very straight up about everything so far, also the front tire is only just passing, and will need replaced for inspection before august. The rear tire is like new. He didnt mention anything about smoke, but it was when he revved it up high, is it anything to be concerned about?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the smoke. The engine couldn't have been at operating temp from idling in the garage, and he was revving it pretty hard.

Here is the email be sent me with the video about temperature:

The cold tends to make this bike a little temperamental, so yesterday afternoon while the weather was nice I started it up so that you would have more than just my word to go on that it actually runs quite well, provided its warm out because its supposed to be cold here this weekend. Here is a video of it running, including some revving and close-up so you can hear it running smoothly at all revs and all the lights working etc. Its about 48 degrees out when i took the video. As I was saying, if it's cold when you get here it may not want to run and if it does run it won't idle like it should, temperature is important in an air-cooled twin like this. To understand why, you got to go motorcycle mechanic school for a few minutes. :D sorry, but if you're really interested in these kinds of bikes, you'll thank me later. I am a former mechanic at L&M Atv in clymer and that's the only thing that has allowed me to get it into the shape its in. If it gets below 40 you can't rely on it, but so long as it is warmer than that, it runs like a champ and idles fine. My father-in-law has a 1978 Suzuki GS650 and its the same way despite being a four cylinder and his son has a 1979 Honda CB500, its got a radiator, but it also won't run right if it's cold, the point being that it doesn't matter whether its air cooled or not, older bikes don't like cold. The explanation is was that the temperature causes the motor to have a really hard time getting heat into it and the gas has to be hot to detonate completely when the spark plug lights. The unburned fuel is then ejected through the exhaust stroke where the fuel-exhaust mix is pumped out the tail pipe. By this time the fuel may have absorbed enough heat that it spontaneously combusts in the exhaust pipe and thats a backfire. Consequently, even when the motor is firing often enough to run, it will pop and spit and it will struggle to idle and will slowing run slower and slower until it stops with varying quickness depending on warm you were able to keep it while it was parked. I keep it in a heated garage so I usually don't have trouble starting it even on colder nights, but during the late fall-winter-early spring seasons even keeping it warm over night doesn't help because it is still sucking in cold air once its going because obviously the garage door is open or I would die from fumes. When I bought it, the choke didn't work, it was one of the first issues i fixed, and so you had to feather the throttle to essentially hand idle the bike, or give it more gas to balance out the fuel-mixture, it would be a similar situation should you try to ride it in cold weather after getting it going because cold makes the air more dense and so when the intake opens, more air is allowed in than normal causing the bike to run lean: more air to fuel, rather than equal parts. Also cold really affects battery strength so even a good battery, because bike batteries are smaller, they can lose strength in lower temperatures and so the starter won't crank as hard as it normally would which places more "starting responsibility" on the motor firing quickly and being able to get going which it won't do because of the lack of heat in the fuel. Class dismissed haha. Again, sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I figured since its your first bike, you probably would have a hard time believing me that temperature makes such a difference. FYI, I have ridden it from Indiana to Benezet and straight back again and had to stop many times for traffic and climb many hills with a passenger in the middle of august in 95 degree heat. I have never had it over heat, only cold makes a difference. It is a good air-cooled design. So, here is the link to the video, I still haven't fixed the light in the rear which you will see, but I will hope to have it done either today or tomorrow. If you have any questions, about the cold business or the motorcycle itself, I'd be glad to answer them.

I noticed that the bike idles high. Sometimes people will turn them up to mask noises in the engine. I would want to hear it idle at a normal rpm, and listen for any rattles or ticking.

Ok ill try to tinker with it a little when i get the chance, he said after rejetting and the air filter/exhaust it ran lean, couldnt see on the video but he said it idles perfect at 1200 rpm

Wow, that guy wrote a whole bunch of "I think I know something". While it sounds good to the un-informed, he should have spent more than a few minutes attending motorcycle mechanic school before writing that drivel. He certainly shouldn't think he was teaching a class or educating you.

When setup properly, our bikes will run quite well in cold weather. Mine does. Other air-cooled engines like found on Aircraft or snowblowers do.

I agree with XSChris, it was idling high in the video. I assumed that it was still running with the choke on, but Chris makes has a valid point. 1200 RPM.

Dave

No doubt, i just turn the screw on the carb to adjust that, correct? In the meantime im gathering up some gear. Helmet and a jacket/gloves and boots. Gotta decide if i want padded pants for riding or if i should just buy pads to put on over regular jeans. Haha decisions. Ideally, i pictured just jeans and t-shirt no helmet or half helmet with shades, but recently decided that compromising safety is not an ption, especially since ive never ridden on 2 wheels.

Start by just riding and getting used to what the bike can do. Start making a list of things you wish for. Just remember, with only 400ccs, there's only so much you can do for power (although you can change the sprockets to give better acceleration at the expense of top end speed.)

Mr bentwrench you mention changing sprockets, acn someone chime in on what would that be both front and rear or just the rear?How many teeth sprocket would a person change to?I ask this for 2 reasons.First my rear sprocket is rather wore and I plan on changing it.2 to increase top end speed.Thank you for your time

I know you are just explaining but I dont think any of would try to star yet alone ride our bikes at -40*(laugh)
I have ridden snowmobiles at -20* and even with the suit and windsheild its still very fricken cold.
I have noticed the warmer it is our bikes run the best.

Last edited:
For more top speed you would want to decrease the number of teeth on the rear, or replace the rear with the same and put one with a tooth or 2 more on the front.. vice versa for more torque/acceleration witjh a little less top speed. Its all preference which to do but ive read on this forum that the front is easier to change and swap out if you dont like the result

Got her home! Shes a beaut! Very exited for spring.. much heavier than i expected, im only 130 lbs and im real happy i didnt get a bigger one.

Congrads I hope the groundhog is right about us having an early spring.I seen a report today that ole phil could very well be correct.All indicators as of now are pointing to a significant warm up in March.I cant wait it been a long 2 1/2 months since I heard my bike fireup.I have made changes to my carbs and the exaust so it still needs to be tested.

Yeah ive fired this up and it sounds real good, lets see how i do on my first ride, cant come soon enough. Ironically, we drove through punxy today with it on the trailer and there was a crazy snow-storm down there, then rain coming back through. Hopefully it will get nice soon.

When I first bought my bike I had never riden one before.I was afraid I wasnt going to be able to shift gears.It was so easy it surprised me.Holding the bike up it holds it self up.It was as easier than learning how to ride a bike without training wheels.:)

Thats good to know. I just came in from warming it up, after completely warm it was idling high about 2000 rpm but a turn on the throttle screw fixed that right away, i did find an oil leak right in the front of the motor where my rpm gage cable connects, will be taking that apart soon to try n fix, other than that it seems nice and solid, took forever to warmup (about 15 min) but nice n smooth once it did.

Took forever to warm up?

Time for your first maintenance lesson. Look up the DOHC manual, and under maintenance, look up checking valve clearances. Mine took forever to warm up until I checked and adjusted my valves.

You will need a phillips head screwdriver (unless you have a fancy shallow cross head, which have a fancy name, fit better, and which I don't own). And a set of fine feeler gauges.

Back