New rider/owner '82 xs400j maxim

kaptainkevo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi ive been researching the xs400 ever since i decided to buy one, i havent picked it up yet but as soon as the moneys in the bank we will be meeting up. Its an 82 xs400j maxim, with a spare catalogued motor and box of odds n ends spare parts. His asking price was $700 usd and i offered $500, which hes happy with. 42,000 miles, and in good running condition. What hes done: changed the headlamp so it can use regular halogen bulbs, new starter motor and relay, replaced the fusebox so it uses regular easy-to find fuses, new professional paintjob and industrial clearcoat, performance air filter, rejetted carbs and high flow exhaust. My intentions with this bike are to learn to ride on and use for commuting and recreational purposes until im comfortable enough to get something eith a little more power, upon which i will use this for my first chopper project. I look forward to speaking with others and share the experience and knowledge you guys have about this bike, and ill try to post a pic soon. Hope to talk to you more soon when i have it in my possession. I guess the only concern and question i have at the moment is about the riding position, is there an easy way to mount highway pegs on this so im not sitting straight up all the time? Or would i be better off spending $200+ dollars on a forward controls kit? Any input will be appreciated.

Welcome to the site! You've picked a perfect bike for your plans. Extra engine is good too, although, in my humble opinion, the engine is nearly indestructible (I believe it's pretty overbuilt... as long as the maintenance gets done regularly.)

You didn't mention if your bike runs, but given the work that went into it, I assume it does. One question to ask the seller, or at least check yourself is a) when was the oil last changed, and b) when were the valve clearances last checked. You'll want to pick up a set of feeler gauges for your garage if you don't already have one - besides carb cleaning and oil changes, they're the only other highly recommended maintenance.

Also, consider adding a fuel filter to your fuel line just south of the tank. You'll notice that the petcock sits higher than the lowest parts of the tank. What this means is that water collects in the low parts, and you tend to get a little bit of rust and residue that finds its way into your fuel, and gums up your carbs. $3 for a fuel filter goes a long way.

Riding position. These bikes were made as "standard" motorcycles. Which means the ergos are all set up for sitting upright, right into the wind. There was a dealer mounted set of engine case guards that some people have, but I have yet to see them available as an aftermarket or separately sold item (but watch flea-bay if you're interested. Lou Ranger has the case guards on his bike.)

I mention them because it's really easy to attach foot pegs to case guards. And voila! Not only a more comfortable foot position, but also some engine protection for the inevitable first drop of your bike (every one drops at least one bike in their riding lives.)

Otherwise, there isn't much. As you may have noticed, the engine hangs from the frame - there's no basket to attach something to. You can probably fabricate something using existing mounting holes (there for the case guards) and then put on some foot pegs. Forward controls will require something to attach to at the front as well, but if you've found something that you think will work, then go to it!

Our bikes were mongrels when they came out. Only available for 2 years in North America before they were discontinued, there isn't a lot out there. However, they are great little bikes to work on and play with. This is my 5th motorcycle, and I'm quite happy with it after riding super sports and litre bikes. Mostly because I can wrench away on it, happy in the knowledge that it only cost me $600 to buy in the first place.

Welcome!

Wow thank alot, yes he told me it runs very well, idles perfectly at 1200 rpm after the rejet and tune, ill pick up a filter for sure and i did notice the engine is hanging which was why i asked about mounting pegs on, if i can find a case guard that will fit ill go that route, since it seems easy and cheap (maybe i will get lucky and there will be one in the box of spare parts.) I plan to change the oil off the bat in the first place, so not too conerned about that. I also read about gearing up to lose some rpms at higher speed, if i do that, how much acceleration would i lose? Is it worth the drop in low end torque for higher top end speed? Not trying to go 100mph, but keeping up with traffic comfortably is a must.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the bike and nice one at that.Milege is a little high but it seems the p o took care and maintaned the bike.You came to the right place if you have problems or just need advice someone is here.This site has all the manuals you need plus alot of write ups on important issues.OUR SEARCH FEATURE will bring you alot of answers to frequently asked questions so enjoy and Welcome from another new rider/learner:)
When do we get to see pics of the bike?

Not trying to go 100mph, but keeping up with traffic comfortably is a must.
Just get everything tweeked and tuned the bike should be ready

Welcome future Maxim owner!

One area I'd suggest checking that is often overlooked is the swingarm pivot. I'm currently working through the nightmare of getting mine sorted out. I will say that mine is an extreme case, as the bolt was rusted solidly into the spacer shaft inside the swingarm. I had to drill out the head and shank of the bolt to remove the swingarm from the frame. And once I did, I found that the bearings were completely rusted into dust and the spacer shaft was also rusted beyond salvaging.

The problem is that while the bearings are available from Yamaha for $25 each, the bolt and spacer shaft are no longer available. And all the used ones I've found are not worth buying. :(

I'm currently trying to find a different solution, but haven't made much progress, yet...

Dave

201301151450126e6151309be6502b7ab8f9195e27d333_regular__zpsa98fd810.jpg.html

Wow dave that really doesnt sound fun at all, i will be sure to check it out, if i do find anything like that i may have to find someone with good fab tools n exp to go full on hardatail with something custom to make it work, i plan on doing a hardtail bobber/chopper project with it in the future, but not til i have a bike to ride while its under construction. Oh and i posted a url of the pic on photobucket can someone let me know if it worked? Wont let me view it on my end.

Yeah, not fun at all right now. Once it is back together, then it will have been fun! ;)

Your post appears blank to me. You can upload the photo here, no need for photobucket.

if i were you i would grab that bike before the owner wakes up and decides he is either not bothered to sell it or wants more for it lol. thats a bargain worth having...like right now. and yes..welcome to the club.

Thanks saltydog im grabbing it as soon as i possibly can. He was nice enough to send me a video of it running, and the one tail light is out which he is replacing today.

Great pic - looks like a great bike.

Here's what isn't stock (if you didn't already know.)

The spark plug leads. The grips. The mufflers (although the headers are stock.) The seat has been recovered, and it looks like a good job was done of it. Mine doesn't have reflectors on the bottom of the forks, but that could be a US spec thing vs. Canada spec.

Everything else looks mint. If that's an aftermarket paint job, they did a great job! It looks like the stock burgundy.

Great find, bike sounds great and in great tune. Good luck!

Yes he had it professionally re-painted and clearcoated, he told me there is one drip behind the fork which isnt noticable. Not a big deal to me regardles, it does seem to me that i got one hell of a deal, just hoping i dont find anything like tranny problems or something when im going down the road.

Don't worry about transmissions. New ones are $50, and you could even upgrade to the Seca 6-speed. If you're planning on eventually bobbing, then the experience of pulling the engine apart will do you good anyway.

Ok thats good news, unfortunately, i got stuck working this weekend so the next day he has available is next friday. He said its not going anywhere so if all goes well it will be in my garage by then. I noticed it sounds kinda like a souped up atv, is there anything immediately i can do to give it a more beefy sound or should i leave it the way it is?

Hahaha i like how you think.. gotta get it home before anything tho, dont care about anything but gettin it home, then ill start thinking of ways to improve it. Or just leave it alone and ride the piss out of it.

Back