I hate this frame!

Reaper

Reaper Ramone
Reaction score
I been studying frame pics and I'm determined to get rid of this crappy triple tube upper frame. I do like Travis' kits but I know I have to remake a backbone before I do anything else. I have to put a clutch in the bike first so I know I'm pulling a good running engine, then I'm gonna do some fabricating. I'm thinking that I'm going to use electrical conduit to make a template and then transfer all the angles over to DOM tubing. This should be a hoot. :thumbsup:

Yeah the frame isn't the best for hardtailing or using custom gas tanks on. I've thought about putting together a kit to help get rid of the triple backbone, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have fun fabricating! I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Yeah, I think remaking the backbone will be very easy, I'll just have to get creative with the rear motor mounts. Are you still offering your hardtail kits, I'll need one in January after I recover from blowing my money on Yule gifts......lol.

I could make it work, but I like simple. I think by eliminating it my tank options are increased and I can make the overall "flow" much better on the frame. I like the clean look of some of the Harley and Triumph frames. Plus cutting things up with a grinder or sawzall makes me happy on the inside.:)

Yeah, I think remaking the backbone will be very easy, I'll just have to get creative with the rear motor mounts. Are you still offering your hardtail kits, I'll need one in January after I recover from blowing my money on Yule gifts......lol.

Yep sure am. Check out my thread in the Shops forum.

Actually in it's stock setup it's quite comfortable sitting wise. The handlebars are a bit narrow for my shoulders, but yes, I'm going to probably stretch it out 6 inches, drop it a few, and fab up some forward controls so I can get my recline. I've always preferred smaller bikes, lighter to load, easier to balance, and not so much weight to fight through a turn. I really miss my 73 Yamaha DT360 Enduro, I used to be able to pick it up and carry it. I still can't figure out why I have a bad back. :confused:

6" is quite a stretch. I have my xs650 stretched out 4" and it makes a big difference in the turning radius and maneuvering it in parking lots and things. It not unmanageable by any means, but you can tell it's stretched out.

The stretch isn't overly concerning to me. I'm going to be more worried about ground clearance and leaning then anything else. Once I get it apart and actually cut the frame I'll have a way better idea of what I have to do. I'm planning on running a flat plate that will tie my down tube and 2 lower sides together so I can mount the battery, secure the rear of the motor, and hide the electrical and coils. I think my design and function are going to determine how far back the wheel will go. This will be my first major frame modification. It's gonna be a learning process.

Well I just passed the point of no return with my frame. I bought a 91 Sportster tank and it wouldn't sit on the triple backbone, which I pretty much knew from the get go. SO me and Mr. Grinder took out the two tubes from the front of the neck to the point where the two tubes come up from motor. And, the tank still don't fit because of the rear brackets. So I'm definitely goin the single backbone route. Amazing how this all started as a "I'm gonna build a cool ass bike" to a "I'm building a glorified gas tank holder so I can use this Sportster tank". I also just got an 83 Honda Nighthawk with some sweet ass rims that I wanna put on the XS. It's shaft drive, but I already found an adapter that goes in the shaft drive assembly that will allow me to run a chain. The front rim has dual disk and I'm gonna use that too. Now I just need to find someone to sell all these extra Nighthawk parts too.

i took off the backbone on my build, not as hard as your making it out to be. i also have a '73 sporty tank. check the build thread

Fubar I've been checking out your build a lot and like the way yours turned out. I'm ditching the 2 bars that come up off the bottom of the frame and running my single all the way to the two bottom bars. I'm gonna be buying the backbone material and the bottom plate this week and forming it. Time to break out the torch and make a form. I still have a bit of tear down to do and mark the electrical before I pull it all out.

Well I brought the bike into the house. It was real fun bringing it down the cellar stairs with the engine still in it, but it was too cold and snowy outside to pull it there. Got the bike completely stripped down to the frame. I was even smart enough to have a bucket handy to catch the ball bearings in the neck when they came gooping out. Got my metal ordered from speedy so I'm gonna start on the backbone hopefully this week. I'll post some pics as I go along. Now that it's inside near all my tools I'll get even more done to it.

Well I've been cutting some pieces from my frame, leaving enough to set up my hard tail so it's straight. Picked up a couple nice angle finders and magnetic torpedo levels and a centering head to mark the true center line of my tubes. It was real fun when I cut the backbone and it grabbed the cut off wheel and jerked. Turns out the backbone is 1/2 inch off. I took a big piece of pipe and my port-a-power and tweaked it a little and it's right on the money. I came up with an interesting idea for the rear of the frame. I'm going to cut the stock swing arm and use the rear section of it that bolts to the wheel and incorporate that into the new rear of the frame. I think it's gonna look pretty cool, and after looking through tons of posts, you tube videos, and cycle mags I haven't seen it done this way before. I'll be posting pics within the next few weeks as to how it's going. The only issue that I'm going to have is finding another 17mm axle that's 1 inch longer. I've seen a few places that sell longer axles, but the ones I found are hollow, which I'm not sure I'd trust on a hard tail. If anyone has any sources please let me know.

I've been playing around with designs for my hard tail. Came up with this. It's going to use the rear section of the stock swing arm, which will be drilled to go over the 7/8 tube that I'm using for the frame. I want it to look different and I'm pretty sure it's going to be plenty strong, especially once I add some gussets here and there.

Attachments

• Frame Design 1.JPG
    Frame Design 1.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 193
Back