I just have to say. ....

robdrobd

Loose in the Cuse
Reaction score
This is the funnest little bike I've ever ridden. I ride it almost every day to work now. 20 miles each way on back roads in Central NY. I've put about 300 miles on it so far. Did I mention that it still has the original Bridgestone tires! Just awesome!

Last edited:
I think these bikes came with Yokohama tires from the factory. I very doubt yours are from the 70's. There should be a date stamp on them. The one in this pic says 528 which means 52 week of 98. Anything over 7 yrs can be dangerous to ride on as they can be rotting from the inside out. Besides that old tire become stiff and hard and will not grab the rode as well. If yours are from the 70's they are definitely not safe for the road.

Attachments

• DSC02962.jpg
    DSC02962.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Yeah they are silly fun to enjoy, you are really pushing your luck on old tires though. Just think how much more fun you'd be having on new generation rubber. A veritable shitload of new tech has gone into developing current tires. It's literally the only thing between you and the road, so maybe treat yourself?

Thanks xs Chris! Tires not as old as I thought! I was reading the code 477 as April, 1977, but it's actually 47th week, 2007. That's much better. :)

probably due for new ones soon anyway! If my dad taught me anything it was to never neglect your tires... the best brakes in the world wont do shit if the rubber is crap or worn

scares me to see some of the cars in my office parking lot.. tires worn well past the wear indicators....

Notice there are a few just in this thread that mention being in Upstate NY, any chance one of these people was parked near the school in Skaneateles Wednesday? Believe it was a red 1977 or 78.

kahansen - That's me! I parked out on East Street Wednesday. I teach at the high school. It's a 77. Isn't she a beauty?

kahansen - That's me! I parked out on East Street Wednesday. I teach at the high school. It's a 77. Isn't she a beauty?

Yes, I do like the style of that vintage bike.

Wife and I were heading out on a ride when I saw it and pointed to it as we went by. I was on my Sportster Sidecar and she was on her Vespa GTV300. Did a 140 mile loop over to Caz. Down to Cortland and back up through Montezuma and home.

I also have a 1977 XS400 but have not been able to contact the person who has the title for it. Seems he dropped off the map after abandoning the bike several years ago at a friends house when they could not get it running right. I believe it just needed the carbs cleaned!

A three digit date code is not a 2000 plus date. In the year 2000 they went to a four digit date code. If a three digit code it's from the 1990's. Definitely a very old tire.
A 528 is 52nd week of 1998. 477 would be 47th week of 1997.
Leo

A three digit date code is not a 2000 plus date. In the year 2000 they went to a four digit date code. If a three digit code it's from the 1990's. Definitely a very old tire.
Leo

I don't think someone was thinking too good when they came up with the original three digit version! I would say if they are 1997 tires they should be changed out if running 20 miles each way every day! Plus I don't want to see that nice 1977 in the ditch on 321 some morning! Too many deer out this way to trust hard old tires!:yikes:

Leo

That makes more sense. Out of all the wheels and tires I have it was the only one with three numbers, which didn't seem right for the date. The site I got the info from never mentioned a three number code:confused: I would never drive on a wheel that old:yikes: That wheel is on a mag rim I don't use.

Back