Intake boot removal

Spray area with aggressive carb cleaner after removing the bolts, (with good ventilation unless you want to be permanently loopy) and give them a nice whack with a hammer and blunt/dull chisel where the cylinder part of the "boot" meets the flange. You can also use a big flat ended punch against the end of the flange itself. Just don't try and wedge something in between the flange and the head and gouge up the gasket surface. I assume you're replacing them. Otherwise, leave them alone. The flange part has metal stiffener inside, so you can get a pretty solid whack against it. If you smack them in such a way as to make them try and move sideways, parallel to the gasket surface, they'll pop right off. Most really nasty non-sensor safe carb cleaners will soften just about anything. Usually, all it takes is one good whack and off they come.

The carb mounts/boots/spigots should be replaced if any signs of cracking/splitting/etc are found. They tend to be done in by UV, heat, and ozone. They need to be a polymer as they somewhat isolate the carbs from heat, vibration and provide an easy and effective seal and mounting point. Consider them an expendable part. If the carbs were solid mounted, the vibration would cause the fuel to become a froth in the bowls, causing no end of jetting woes. The heat would tend to boil the fuel as well. They do a lot more than just mount the carbs.

I hope the new ones didn't come from our favorite Florida parts supplier. Their carb holders don't hold up to ethanol fuels very well.
My recommendations is to shop Ebay and find Tour Max. Or get them from a Yamaha dealer. They may cost more but they are worth the money.
Leo

The guy in Ohio that makes the CV diaphragms offers them as well. Cheaping out on these is false economy, you'll just replace them every month. The originals are usually good for 2-4 years. If you park outside in the sun, probably less.

The set that's on my 79 have been on there for 15 years and 10k miles:) with no cracks as of yet. I also keep the bike out of the rain. But these came from yamaha not an aftermarket supplier:shrug:

The Yamaha built holders have lasted 30 plus years. A lot of bikes are still running fine with them now. I agree don't cheap out, get good ones. If you get Yamaha holders and they last another 30 years that will be longer than most of us will be riding.
Leo

When I bought the bike it ran but looks like it had a shady past, :yikes:supposedly had under 6,000 miles, but a different engine serial number, ha, (81 frame&80 engine)some kind of goo on the intake rubber, original tires though(junk), gotta say that much, but wire wheels, which is what I wanted. A start...So I thought I was doing the right thing getting those Florida intakes:doh:, live and learn....Have some gas stations here with non-ethanol :bike:..Spad

I know Marathon doesn't have ethanol in their gas. That's the only place I will get gas for my bike.

PS. I have Florida intake boots. Thanks for the heads up!

with our friendly Florida dealer, If you have the choice then run non ethanol fuel. It costs a bit more but it will not effect the carb holders.
Leo

The PO used some kind of gasket glue :(on the intake boots to the head. Any good ideas to get these boots off....Spad

These must fit properly having NO cracks or leaks arround the hose type clamps. Most originals have fallen into the chronicals of time. Fortunatly I was able to find another bike with aftermarket dead-ringers for the original look, fit and finish. For replacement boots alone... E-bay motorcycle parts for XS400. Happy shopping!

Back