Intro and lowering question!

xsbrat

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, recently found this forum and looks great. I have just bought a 1981 xs400 and plan to do a bratstyle build with it. Picked the bike up for $100 and have tore it completely down. About to cut rear end off, paint, clean it and put back together.. My question is how do i lower the forks? I have them tore down but just curious as to what exactly i need to cut and where to add the spacer at? Added a couple pictures just for fun. will keep yall updated and thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• xs400(1).jpg
    xs400(1).jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 415
  • xs400brat.jpg
    xs400brat.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 393
  • xs400brat1.jpg
    xs400brat1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 357
Welcome man!

isigt beat me to it! lol The link he posted should help out greatly, and it comes from our newly made "Tech Section" at the top of your browser...You can thank Travis for making that for you! lol

We'll be watching!

Thanks guys, I think i have lowered them. I used 2inch spacers from some parts i took off the bike already. I have painted wheels, Engine, and cleaning everything up right now. Waiting on finding some shocks to lower it (rebel shocks are expensive) any other ideas i could use? im trying to build this thing for next to nothing. I bought the bike for $100 i plan on selling some of the unused parts and have a couple things to trade (motorcycle lift, old harley helmet) basically my goal is to have less than $300-400 total in this bike. Im sure ill blow the budget but it seems reasonable right now.

Sorry for another post...i was reading up and someone used suzuki savage shocks to lower...i have recently came across a ts185 trail from what ive read look to be the same shock which might be another option to some..Maybe someone else has stumbled across this already to verify?

Well here are a couple more pictures of progress. I chopped the rear section off today, successfully lowered front forks, painted engine, forks, wheels.. Just need to find some short shocks and a gas tank and i think this thing is ready to put back together!

Attachments

• xs400 lowered forks.jpg
    xs400 lowered forks.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 336
  • xschop rear.jpg
    xschop rear.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 346
  • xs400 forks paint.jpg
    xs400 forks paint.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 327
I love budget builds, it shows the true creativity and determination of the builder, sure as hell beats the OCC 'throwmoneyatitandwedidn'tevenbuildtheframe' approach :laugh:

Now its time to start mock up. Waiting for right shocks to come along but decided to make it look like a bike again to find stance and such..i was planning on selling the tank and i apologize to the member who wanted it but inspiration struck and i took a hammer to it haha oops! Great thread on here on how to do the dented tank. I just kind of let it takes its own direction and see what comes out. This is kind of a rat brat so lets see where it goes :) a couple pictures of progress and where im at...I plan on ordering some drag bars from mike XS this next week and just waiting for the right shocks and seat to pop up on craigslist or internet! I also plan to have the mock up done next week and will paint and grind the rest of the unused tabs off to clean it up a bit. This project has become very addicting!

Attachments

• xsbuild1.jpg
    xsbuild1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 389
  • xsbuild2.jpg
    xsbuild2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 378
I lowered my xs400 2.5 inches in the back all i did was compress the shock removed the spring and cut off some of it. It's simple and it dosen't cost anything perfect for a budget build.

i thought about this but was concerned about safety and shock failure..going 80 mph and something go wrong usually isnt a good scenario..how long have you been riding it like this? any difference in ridability?

Just checking in with the build. Been super busy but almost have it ready. I need to finish wiring, grab a seat and fix clutch problem. Paint is on its way. But here is what it will look like for the riding season this year i think. So far im up to $145.00...Need to buy some nickle and dime stuff but overall im pretty happy with it..Any ideas on seats?

Attachments

• xs400build4.jpg
    xs400build4.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 382
pretty excited, i finally was able to hear the engine run today. I took it out of the garage for the first time and snapped some pictures. Pretty happy with how its coming. Just need to paint it, get a new petcock or rebuild mine, figure out the front brake and its ready i think! Here are a couple more progress pictures.

Attachments

• xs400 build 3.jpg
    xs400 build 3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 484
  • xsbuild5.jpg
    xsbuild5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 454
Back