Is this bike OK for the Highway?

dellrio

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I have been riding around for about a week and a half now but had not taken to the highway. I got on the Highway (65mph zone) and was able to get up to speed probably hit 70 mph, went about 10 miles, then turned around and came home - was really just testing it out on the HWY before I make a 70 mile round trip tomorrow morning.

On the ride back however i was driving into the wind (16 MPH according to weather.com which is not abnormal for central Iowa). I was also riding uphill. I had to lean forward like a crotch rocket to reduce the amount of blowing around I was doing, I had the throttle wide open and I was topping out at about 52 MPH, could not go any faster. This is scary when the traffic around me is going 70-80. Is there something not right with my bike or is that typical in this situation.

Are they mostly for putting around town, or can they be good HWY bikes too. Also if I were to get another - heavier bike, would that reduce the amount of blowing on the Hwy? I felt like i was a ragdoll getting tossed around the lane.

Also just want to say - that was my first Highway experience on 2 wheels ever - Holy Crap was it awesome!!!

Hello dellrio, I was wondering the same thing, I just bought an 1980 xs400 and i am a new rider and i took my bike out on the highway, here in michigan our speed limit is 70 on the highways and i was scared crapless, plus im not sure how your bike sounded but my bike at 70 mph sounded like i was hauling butt, i might check into changing the sprockets or something or
maybe find a bigger bike. but i hope someone will respond to your questions.
Oh yeah, i noticed a big drop in speeds as well going into the wind, i bought the bike in hopes to ride to work but, im not sure about riding on the highway, people drive faster than the posted speed limit. I also put a windsheild on to cut down the wind. You might want to try that.Hopefully you can get some answers

Yah when i hit 70 MPH if I remember correctly i was steady at about 6500 RPM's. I am not really interested in a big bike or a fast bike, but am a little dissapointed I was not able to maintain speed into the wind uphill.

And yah - it was scary as hell going that fast, I can not believe people do that without helmets!

I too was scared to take my bike out on the highway. Last Saturday I went on a poker run with a bunch of Harley lovers. During the run I did 70 miles on the highway at speeds up to 80 mph. There were times that I thought I would blow right off the road, but I was good, albeit my hands were almost numb from the vibrations. These are not highway bikes but if you right it well, you can keep up with the flow of traffic. I find that my bike is strongest around 6-7k rpm. Make sure you have a good chain and tires before you go on the highway. Good luck, have fun!

PS: as far as leaning onto the tank on the highway, yeah so it must be done sometimes to get up speed quickly LOL

Hello akronevan, I hear ya bro, I just started riding and i have been riding beside my brother in law that has been riding for years, i only have a permit which here in michigan i can ride on the roads with a licensed rider, i am like dellrio i dont need and big cc bike or a fast one, just a bike to ride to work and with my brother in laws and friends, i drive truck instate and dont need any tickets, i did the over the thing for 12 years dont want to go back :) I have the bike dressed up a little- saddlebags,windshield,new mufflers,etc.
I am also disappointed on the wind uphill lack of power, i read that a few xs400 members have changed the sprockets, I am going to do some research on this before i spend the money on them, If anyone can give any advice or someone that has more knowledge on sprockets please step in and lend me some input on this change without over working the motor.Everyone be safe out there, have fun and have a nice 4th of july

I'm with you on that Badluck. Did you rejet after you put on the new mufflers? Sometimes that will rob you of top-end power if you haven't. I would look into it.

Personally, I don't consider the XS400 to be a good high speed bike. They are capable of high speed but I just don't feel comfortable at much over 60 mph. If you want to do Interstate cruising, you should have a slightly larger, heavier and more powerful bike. My son just switched from an XS400 to a Harley Sportster 883. The Sportster weighs almost 200 lbs. more than our XS400s, has a longer wheelbase and about twice the horsepower.He does not like large, heavy bikes either but is really enjoying the ride on his Sportster.

I don't have the XS for Interstate cruising. In fact, in the 1,500+ miles I have put on mine in the past year, it has never once been on the Interstate and I could have gone on it to cut distance. I enjoy cruising the back roads, away from the traffic and can get to anywhere I need to go in my area w/o using the Interstate.

Other folks may have different opinions and/or needs for their XS400.

I rejetted mine this spring an it is much better at highway speeds than before. I have open pipes and pods, but even stock the bike was jetted for emissions, not power. I'd rejet if I were you, and make sure the carbs are balanced.

Last year it was very noticable when riding against the wind. I'm 230lbs which does not help but I can run 110 kph no problem. Definatly not the best highway cruiser but it'll keep up.

Hello 01ps, thank u for reply, what would recommend as far as rejetting, i own a 1980 400, not sure on the mileage, i have changed the mufflers with ones that i ordered from jcwhitney, they have a little baffle but not like the stock ones, i have not changed the air boxes (the air boxes are originals) i havent done anything to the carbs other than clean them, i did notice that the rubber plugs in carbs are in bad shape (i have odered new ones from bikebandit, havent installed them yet) the header pipes are stock (i just cut original mufflers off due to loose baffles) as far as the carbs they are in sync ( havent really checked, other than the plugs seem to be buring the same, nice and tan)
so my question, how does one know when to rejet? and how does one know to what size of jet and any other changes to the carb is needed ? thank you

How do you know when? Well, if it is jetted stock, it needs to be rejetted IMO. From my research, it was jetted lean for emissions. The other way is to look at the plugs. I jetted mine slightly rich for the sake of the engine. My plugs burn brown with a slight hint of black. They used to be light brown to slightly white.

There is only one way to know the size of the jets, since they may have been changed, and that is to look at the numbers stamped on them. I ordered 3 sizes up (main) from stock and tried all three, and eventually settled on the highest. The pilot I ordered 2 up, and used the next highest. I also changed the pilot screw o-ring to make sure I had a good seal. If your pilot screw is out only 1.5 -3 turns then you may not have to change pilot jets. If any more, you should change them. The plug in the main jet tube needs to seal properly, so its good you ordered new ones.

Needle position is also adjustable on most mikunis. Do an internet search on tuning mikunis and you should find out more about this.

If you have not balanced with a manometer then you are not balanced. I though mine were close, and when I hooked up my meter it nearly sucked all the fluid out of the meter on one side before I could get the engine shut off. They were way out. It made a HUGE difference in the power of this motor. You can build a manometer for about 5-10 bucks out of clear tube, nylon ties, a strip of wood and some ATF. You balance them with the screw between the throttle plates, near where the cable connects to the carb. You can actually hear the difference.

I had my carbs off about 712 times to get them to the point where I was satisfied. There is no magic formula I'm afraid, every bike is different.

Thanks for that info 01ps, that is alot of great info, i am going to check out on jets and everything you mentioned. I have been thingking of building a manometer, just havent done it. i have read that alot of members have made one, it must really work :) I really havent rode bike for very long yet and plan on looking into a bigger bike after i feel comfortable enough to do so.I will let you know what i come up with after i make the changes. Thank you. members are right about this forum, alot of knowledge here

Hey Dellrio. Awesome to see someone local on here.
My xs400 is my daily rider. I ride 32 miles round trip each day from Waukee to downtown Des Moines. Of the 32 miles, 20 of it is highway (I80 and I235). I love the bike, but it's not a prime candidate for highway riding. I have pod filters and short pipes with 4" baffles. Although the wind can toss you around a bit, I am usually able to maintain speeds of 65 to 70 on the highway. However, the bike (and I) are much more comfortable on the back roads.
If you're dipping down to 52 mph, you may want to look into the carbs; rejetting, syncing the carbs, etc.
Do you have pics up of your bike?

Back in the early '70s['71,I think]I had a cb350 honda,and other bikes and some other guys and I went from Dallas,Tx to Corpus Cristi,Tx,about 400m .Me on the 350,a 550 suzuki,and a couple of yamahas,a 350,and I believe a250.We all made it down and back at speeds of at least 70-75 mph.No problems other than stopping to adjust chains,etc.Good old days,bikes weren't 25yrs old......lha

TheMainMuel - I agree - Its cool to see another person from DesMoines. I just uploaded some pictures of the bike, bought it from Vintage Cycle on hubble, it was the owners daily driver - hes a cool guy, It has just about 10k on the odometer, I have put 500 miles on the bike since I got it last month. Also if you ever go North on Hwy 17 just after you cross the DesMoines River there is a frost heave in the concrete that will send you flying, I hit it at 70 MPH the first time and caught some air. Its the width of the whole lane.

I have not had any issues since the first time on the highway, I seriously think that the strong wind was really holding back. I have made the same drive twice since and was able to maintain 65 MPH up the same hill with calm winds, I also downshifted to maintain speed up the hill after the first time.

I really just want to finish out this season before I do anything major to the bike, but I do plan on tearing it apart this winter.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 441
I recently bought a 1977 XS400 and at first I was able to hit 85 but after I ran some Seafoam through it I could hit 100. I'm not sure about your hills because I live in Indiana but my bike seems to do fine on the hills around here (given I weigh 150lbs). So these bikes can easily do highway speeds but I agree they are very shakey on the highways under the slightest winds.

Thanks for the heads up on 17. I haven't been up too far that way on the bike yet, but I'll be ready if I do.
That's crazy, I saw that bike for sale on the Vintage Cycle site! I've been meaning to check out their shop. I saw one of their bikes at the Dice / Church of Choppers Party a few weeks back.
Do you go to any local bike nights? I've been too busy so far this summer, but hope to make it to the next Indianola bike night. Maybe I'll see you there.

The Vintage Cycle shop is awesome and Jeff is super helpful - seems like someone who really knows his stuff - I would definately buy from them again, and will probably take the bike there for service if I ever have any issues and get too lazy to fix it myself.

I have not been to any bike nights, was not really aware of any going on as I am typically a pretty busy person, I have two jobs now working about 65 hours a week, in addition to that I usually go to a concert every week or so, and have tons of hobbies. If I ever do have a free night I would try and make it out for sure - nothing worse than being at home in my opinion.

I too am 230# and I can maintain 65 mph up hills and into any wind I have encountered yet. It will cruise faster than that, of course. My bike is jetted stock, but with the idle mixture richened up.

That being said, I never spend any time on a limited access freeway and I only get on a 4 or more lane highway for short hops. I get blown around by semi trucks...not fun.

I understand if some of you have to commute, and I do sometimes as well, but I use a different route when I'm on the bike that uses more back roads. Takes me maybe 10 or 15 minutes longer, but on the roads the XS400 was built for. If I had to commute on freeways, I'd go with something larger, at least a 650, but that's me.

I agree, that a bigger bike would be better on the Highways, I will not take it on the main freeways around here - too many crazy drivers and Speed of traffic is 70MPH and it gets agressive. The Highway I do take it on is only a 4 lane for about a 2 mile stretch before I get to a 2 lane hwy with a 55MPH speed limit. I am fully comfortable on that hwy and typically hold speed about 60 or so. Unfortunately there is not non-highway route to get to the 55MPG hwy. When I commute to my M-F job i take city streets only, its only the weekend job where I use the Highway. I can say now having put about 500 miles on the hwy since my first post I am much more comfortable now than I was before, but still feel the bike getting blown around a bit from time to time.

Back