Jugs stuck to block

rshutchinson

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Any pointers here? Don't want to break any fins off prying.

I've been persuading the cylinders with a rubber mallet and trying to pull off with my hands from above with no luck. It's stuck.

Any tips on removing some sticky jugs?

Thanks guys!

Can also fashion up a wooden wedge. I had the same problem on a quad I had. I just used two wooden wedges and applied equal amounts of smacks with the hammer until it budged. Then got a smaller wooden wedge and used it in between the jugs and slowly worked up till it was free. Not sure if this will help. Good luck.

Using the wedge between the bottom of the jugs and the top of the crankcase? I tried to get even a small prybar/screwdriver in there with out much luck.

Seen exhaust valves like this?

IMG_1743_zpskeahauid.jpg

IMG_1744_zpsdttqrskt.jpg

I had this same problem, I used a thin paint scraper and gently tapped it under the edge of one corner of the barrels and once in worked it around a small way until I broke the seal. Once it starts coming up a little bit the rest can be pulled up by hand.

Those look just like my valves! :)

Had the same stuck jugs problem. Tried the paint scraper thing.
I gave up and put the header back on.

Might try again next winter.

When I did it I just tapped the scraper in with a hammer and it went in no probs. It just hacks up the old gasket, and more or less left the surfaces unscathed.

Attachments

• DSC09705.jpg
    DSC09705.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC09709.jpg
    DSC09709.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC09707.jpg
    DSC09707.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC09708.jpg
    DSC09708.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 136
I didn't take my valves out. Cleaned the visible surface with a dremel wire wheel but that was basically cosmetic.
It might not be the valves, but my motor is not running as well as it should be.
In hindsight I should have removed the valves when I had the head off. New valve seals and at least lapping the valves would have been a good idea.

When you have a motor apart like that, it is a good idea to do as much as you can:wink2: Seals, rings and hone, valve lap and guides.

Finally got the jugs off, getting them over the pistons was very tight.

And yes, if your valves looked anything like mine in the picture then the seats are probably in very poor shape as well.

Last edited:
Back