Just got 80' xs400 special, time to make my first cafe racer

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
hey all!

i have had a few motorcycles before, but now i want to make a cafe racer. So i just picked up a 1980 xs 400 special in black. It was in decent shape, i was told it just needed the carbs cleaned and carb boots as they were all cracked. I got it to my father in laws shop (we towed it) and after pulling the front brake lever a few times it locked up..great. Oh well so today i took the caliper apart and cleaned and rebuilt everything so now i have working brakes :). After that i took everything off the bike that i didnt want, rear passenger pegs, reflectors, rear turn signals, front fender, and highway/crash front pegs.

My plan is to get the bike in working order and enjoy it untill winter, then its cafe time!
ive never made one/customized a bike before, im super excited!!
my cafe plans are as follows:
new tank
cafe seat/rear fender (either custom made by myself, i am a welder/metal fabricator or bought)
custom brakelight
custom front headlight (i want 2 smaller circle ones side by side)
delete front turn signals
cafe handlebars
black wrap header pipes
new mufflers
intake pod filters
new custom speedo/tach

Some quick questions i have are about gas tanks. I did a little searching and and i think i found out that most XS model gas tanks will fit my bike, also i thought i saw something about the UK model and the boxier gas tank working. Anybody help me out? my current tank rattles like its full of sand and pebbles so i dont want to use it, and its ugly lol. I am looking for a nice boxy one, i want this gas tank

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=xs+4...tbnw=173&start=72&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:72

and i hate to copy but i want my tank and seat/rear fender to be exactly like this, i love it!!!

i will keep update on things and post pics and be asking for help on here :) so see u guys around!!!

more searching and it has been decided, i am going with either an RD400 gas tank or a XS360 and then modify it to fit, im leaning toward the RD400 due to the larger fuel capacity and my drive to work is 45 miles one way so that would be nice :)

If you are a welder/fabricator you should take your "pebble and stone" filled tank and cut everything off from the bottom. That way you have the "attaching points" for your frame (since this is your first time modifying a bike) and you can just sand that bottom plate to a beautiful finish and make any size/style of tank you want :smoke: then all you need is someone to do the auto-body work for ya and you're set. :thumbsup:

As for my two cents; I would DEFINITELY do a complete oil change (oil, filter, check the sump), replace carb boots, get those pods (or change air filter if you want to run it before you get them), change the spark plugs, throw the battery on a maintenance charger (or really just get a new one :shrug:), and finally fill whatever tank you use with only premium. THEN when you are ready to FIRE THAT BABY UP... DONT. :D Take the sparkplugs out, poor a LITTLE oil in on top of the pistons (a LITTLE), and crank it with the kill switch still turned off so you can work all the new oil around (kick 15 times or elecstart 15 seconds)... NOW you are ready to fire her up and find out what else is wrong :twocents:

Enjoy your baby and keep us updated! Welcome to the forums! :wink2:

that is a great idea! im taking the tank to work tomorrow and im gonna cut off the top and sides of the take and start designing my new one i can weld to the bottom of the stock tank....perfect fitment on the bike!!

Back