Kickstart installation

I'm having kick start problems to. So this is what has be happening with mine, First off when I would be kick it over from cold and had to kick it over a few times and kicked it hard It would make a noise like a spring reloading even tho it feel like spring tension is on the kick start and returns to 12 O'clock after being kicked. Just yesterday when I road my bike down the block my bike made a clunk noise and stalled and when I go to kick it over it feels like its not tuning over the piston. If I giggle the kick pedal it feels like catches and wants to turn over the piston but once you go to give it a good kick it still wont turn the piston. So I'm thinking (my shot in the dark) is the teeth on one of cogs for the kickstart is stripped :( witch one I have no idea. if this is the problem and I have to replace the kick start shaft or which ever cog is broken can I replace what ever cog is broken with out removing the engine from the bike/ripping it all apart? I have not as of yet dropped the oil and taken off the cover plate to look inside because its shitty weather in Vancouver right now and my bike is on the street. I'm going to rewire my E-start switch back in my bike for the time being till I figure out this kick start problem.

PLEASE HELP ME OH GREAT MINDS OF XS400.com!! :p

Sounds like you broke the kick shaft journal. And the clunk may have been the broken piece locking up the motor. You need to take off the clutch side cover and take a look. What ever you do DON'T TRY TO KICK IT ANYMORE!!!

Attachments

• DSC02434 (1).jpg
    DSC02434 (1).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 323
This is why, even though my kicker works well, I use the electric start and save the kicker for "emergencies". Less kicking=less chance of breaking it.

You guys with "2" bikes, "2E, 2F, etc." or who have decided that electric start is too bourgeoisie, I wish you smooth kicking and long life for your journals.

I have 32k on my 79 2-F:) People just have to take it easy:wink2: It's one a 400cc engine:laugh: If the bike don't start in the first few kicks then it needs a tune up or is having other issues.

What??? One doesn't have to try to kick it into next week to get it to start? I was under the impression that 200lbs of "beer and Cheetos gut" force was required to start a bike... :)

Oh geez. ok, well If the kick journal is broken what are my options? and do I need to drain my oil to be able to open the clutch cover side?

Yes. I f it is broken you will have to get all the bits out before you can run it. If the bike is a kick only bike then you will need to get a set of cases or find another motor.

Oh man really :/ ok well finger crossed the Journal isn't broken. I still have the E-start on the bike so if I am FUBAR on the kick journal being broken and I get all the broken pieces out can I start my bike with just the E-start? Also when I said I giggled it around the kick start it was more like slowly rotating down it as to kicking it not moving the shaft back and forth.

I took the clutch cover off today and the good new is the Kick Journal is in good condition no cracks and inside looks clean as well(thank goodness). The bad new is I still don't know what would make it so I can't kick the bike over. In close inspection on the kick shaft there is a scratch on the hook looking pice on the flat side that butts up to the shim by the journal but when I looked to see where It could have hit something I couldn't see any where on the engine case that it has it????

So glad you were wrong on this one XSCHRIS :p

Does the e-start turn the engine over? Or have you tried to do it by hand.

XSchris I still need to wire up the button as of now to my Estart as I have planned to move my button from my handle bars to a spot on side of the bike. I had it mocked up but did wire it it because I wanted to run it kick start for a bit. But I think I may have figured out the problem with the kick start and odd gear / spring noise.

Kick Start Problem- I have "kicked over" the engine by hand slowly doing it wile supporting the bottom of the kick shaft wile the cover plate off. I noticed when I would "kick it over" by hand my clutch would slip. I tried losing off the clutch cable to let the clutch grab more but it still slips. So that would explain the feeling of resistance on the kick pedal but not turning over the pistons. Should I assume now I need new clutch pads? / how do you tell if you need new clutch pads?

Noise- I took off the Yamaha cover plate on the left side that lets you turn over the engine by hand and when I did I heard the sloppy cog gear noise coming from Estart motor. I will have to look more into that later as I need to remove the old gasket on the clutch cover to be able to put my new one on.

I could use a tip on removing old gaskets from the motor that doesn't involve power tools, if I can help it. I got 90% of the old gasket off so far.

Sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment. There are a few threads on how to do a proper adjustment. Remember there also an adjustment at the engine for the clutch:) I use a razor blade to get most of old gaskets off. Any auto parts store will carry a solvent that works for this to.

SO I wired in my Estart button and it fired up like a champ first short push of the button. I think I may have figured out my kick start problem tho. 1st off it didn't help that there was to much oil in me engine so I drained the old oil, replaced old gasket and replaced it with fresh oil and new gasket. 2nd my clutch sprigs are shot. its was way to easy to tighten them down by hand when I was finish inspecting my clutch pads witch have lots of life left. so I have new springs on order also I have a stretched clutch cable and that is on order to. but as of now I think you guys have help with my kickstart as much as you can, now its just to slowly replace the old parts

Thanks again for you help you guys!

Back