Kickstart question

dt1903

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

In the middle of engine rebuild and have a question about the kickstart. Engine is back in the frame but clutch is not hooked up yet and havent filled it up with oil etc yet. At this point should the kickstart turn over the engine? I'm pretty sure I've put everything back in the right order, the kickstart engages and turns the clutch but doesnt engage the crank.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

He is right. If the clutch us spinning that means it is disengaged (as though you pulled the clutch lever). Kick starter a sounds like it is working properly.

If you don't have oil in it, don't try to kick it around yet. Dry engines don't like turning

Ok, so anything in particular I should be looking for?

I did use a fair amount of oil when rebuilding it so its not totally dry.

Make sure the cover is on before kicking it over or you will break the shaft journal in the lower case.

Good call Chris. A few people have damaged motor without right cover. Check the position of the clutch push rod, if you have connected your cable, make sure you have slack in it (about 5mm movement at clutch lever). I cant imagine you wore your clutch out to the point that the kicker won't turn motor, do its gotta be something that is awry. Perhaps your clutch cable its binding somewhere

Cable isn't connected yet. So maybe I haven't put the clutch together properly? I was pretty sure I did but I'll check it through again.

Back