Land Speed XS400

its been a debate between turbocharging and supercharging. The superchager will be easier to fab up as I wont have to tap into oil lines, etc.. However, i already own a turbo that SHOULD be small enough to work. THat being said, ive been trying to run some CFM and PSI numbers on what I need to make a smog pump work as a supercharger. I know of guy smaking them work on 50cc motors that rev to 12,000RPM, and 400cc industrial motors in minibikes that have a 4000rpm redline.

engineleft%20-%2005.jpg

rs%20blowersmall%203.JPG

If i do it, it will more than likely be a blow through with single CV carb using one of those 2 into 1 intake manifolds you guys seen on the chopper underground. Dan, the guy who built those, done the fab work on my dragbike

Done some more reading and number crunching. WHen this fellow was using the smog pump, he made 18lbs of boost and the pump was 30% underdriven, so was spun up to around 7000-8000RPM. Again, this was a 50cc engine.

The guy with the industrial engined bike, told me he drove it 1 to 1 and got 10lbs of boost at 4000rpm on a 400cc engine. Thats about 40cfm. To make 5 psi at 9000rpm ill need 90cfm...should be interesting.

DOHC! No question.

Hell my maxim, in so so shape, can nearly hit 95 before its nailing the redline. Drop 100lbs off of it, tuned perfect, and better gearing? Could break 105 - 110 easy.

Either way, I am physched about this!! Keep the posts coming!

Dan i decided to go with the DOHC. reason being... it has 1mm larger valves, a 1mm longer stroke, no rocker arms, etc. i think it will be better for what im doing. However, its a god awful ugly motor!

OK aaron, now you got me thinkin... I have a couple of SOHC here (besides your fighter project that we need to finish...lol) and I might just put something together to run ya...lol... and I kinda like the vintage dragbike style, these ARE pretty vintage motors after all. Mine will be EFI and turbo I think. I have some killer throttle bodies from a triple snowmobile setup, and use Microsquirt for fuel and ignition.
goebel boyz and sprocketwerx take the ECTA by storm...lol

Where would that place me class-wise? 800cc twin motor? I can make it work, was planning a CB750 twin, but this might get my toes wet before doing a big motor :)
I mean I DO want to be competitive if I'm gonna spend time and dollars to race. I'm NOT honored "just to be nominated" <<< that there is my acceptance speac... lmao

If I do a twin engine bike, I'll whack the trans from the front motor and run a primary chain or belt to tie the motors together (like HD does with their motor/trans combo) on the stator side. Eliminate the stator/rotor and run a small alternator to power the EFI.
Hell for racing (drag and LSR) a strong battery will last a full run, just charge in the pits.
Na parasitic drag necessary there!

We are talking XS400 SOHC here, not CB750 like my DD chopper. So the trans needs to handle the torque of two turbocharged XS400s

If I'm going to all the trouble of machining cases, I might just seal off the trans from crankcase and run a dry sump. Keep oil off the crank, less windage, better crankcase vacuum (better ring seal), more power freed up, more power made.

sub'd :) cant wait to see this one unfold. seems like you know what your talking about, which is more than i can say for myself on the subject of drag bikes. lol looking forward to progress pics

scarab! thats the word Ive been looking for.

I just got my frame jig kit from Travis. I still have to pick up the 2x3 tubing for it, it will probably be a week or two before I can. Just need the 2x3 tubing for the jig, a tube notcher, and some tubing for the frame and im ready to start bendin' and burnin'. I have decided to do the vintage dragbike look, and i will probably use the xs400 SOHC motor, simply because it has that vintage look to it. im goign to try to design the frame to be able to take an xs650 lump as well.

in the mean time, more inspirational pics...

Attachments

• amazing trurnip.jpg
    amazing trurnip.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 287
  • hagon jap.jpg
    hagon jap.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 273
  • twin tube triumph.jpg
    twin tube triumph.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 301
Back