Leaky gas cap fix?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Noticed today after filling up, that when I park on a less than level street, gas streams out of the tank's cap onto a hot engine. I would very much like to avoid that going forward. Probably I need to replace the gasket material... Any ideas which of the rubber seals at Mikes XS will fit my 82 Maxim
http://www.mikesxs.net/search.html?q=Gas+cap+Rubber+Seal+

Or, easier still, just not top off my tank.. Thanks

Partsnmore has a replacement gas cap including rubber and keys for about $30. The seal on mine is pretty gone too so I was looking into it. A NOS Yamaha seal by itself is around $60 on eBay, so you're better off just getting a new cap.

You might be right.... but the seals at Mike's were only $8.50. Perhaps I'll give Mike a call.

Why, so they are. I sort of instinctively write off getting parts from Mike's because I'm in Canada and XS650Direct's inventory is so paltry, sorry.

The ones on mikes for the later xs650 will work on the sohc xs400. I think the dohc bikes are different and I would check to see if they will work.

I had that issue on my 82 Heritage Special (not DOHC). I took my handy box of assorted O-rings from Harbor Freight and used two O rings. One that fit around the cap tightly and the other the next size up that fit around the smaller ring and also the gas tank lip. They do fall off easily when I fill up but I just have to be careful about making sure they are in position when I close the lid. So far no issues and I've filled up about 10 times. I've though about trying to melt them together or glue them in but I'm afraid to mess up a good thing.

When I emailed Mike's, he replied " sorry, we do not have that part for your bike" However, still might see if I can make it fit. I'll compare their picture with my bikes cap later and decide. And thanks - I really like the Hazard Freight option of O-rings. Another reason to pick up a free screw driver set or junky flash light! :)

XSChris was right. Mikes gasket fits fine on my Maxim. Only prob was getting old gasket off. Needed a torch. Wisely, I removed it from the gas tank first.....LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_123910652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140809_123910652_HDR.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20140806_150741788_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140806_150741788_HDR.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 169
I knew it work for the sohc bikes and now we know it will work for the dohc ones also:thumbsup:

Back