Lifting an xs400

my straps are spaced 3 feet and are hooked to 2 different trusses separated by 4 feet.

The math is just to demonstrate how much the pressure can be increased. That being said, I have no idea what the maximum force is for a rafter--and it obviously worked for you--so it is probably fine.

I also neglected to separate the force vectors into horizontal and vertical components which would reduce tension even further; probably significantly.

I stopped by the hardware store and built one of these just now:

I am fairly happy with it, but had not taken into consideration that connecting pipe in a loop (at the base) requires that I back one side of the pipe out of a thread to attach to the thread on the other side. The top and supporting pipes are on really tight, but the two pipes connecting each half together at the bottom are not very tight. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I have to imagine there are scenarios where pipes are inserted in-line with each other between two fittings and a plumber can't just back the thread out because it would not seal properly.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 310
My friend- you identified your main issue in your original post. This is the solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979...orsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3038wt_768

Best $25 (plus shipping) you will ever spend so you can do proper maintenance without a hassle.

Normally, the back wheel is off the ground. When I want to do something with the front wheel, I lift slightly at the crossover tube at the bottom of the cradle at the front of the engine and it titlts back and lifts the front wheel. Then I put a jack stand under that tube. No muss- no fuss.

Easiest way I've found to remove/ install an engine solo is to lie the bike on its side and raise/ lower the frame on the engine. Cuts down on scratching your nicely painted frame as well.

OK, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with the stand version 2.0 which includes 100% less fail. It's 6 inches taller now and uses union joints; it feels beastly strong. It cost me about 60 bucks for this thing and 4 ratcheting straps which I did not already have.

Attachments

• standv2.jpg
    standv2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 254
I welded an extension to the bottom of my rear swingarm, then made a thread to accept a couple of bobbins. i now use a paddock stand to lift the rear up. You can also get paddock stands for the front as well!

I have seen on the numbers of xs 400s that i have had when you have the two into one exhaust or any exhaust going to the one side it leaves the center stand out there on its own and looks horrible witch i had taken mine off and if your interested in it let me know

Attachments

• SAM_0379.jpg
    SAM_0379.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 254
  • SAM_0380.jpg
    SAM_0380.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 256
  • SAM_0382.jpg
    SAM_0382.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 257
Back