Long Distance Cruising and 17 Tooth sprockets

Hishman

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering what is the longest distance a xs400 is good for. I havnt had the chance to ride my bike on the highway do to carb issuses but in a couple weeks i plan to travel to wisconsin(aprox 5-6 hour drive). What is about the max speed an xs400 can keep up for a couple hours. I was also planning on buying a 17t front gear and new chain but wasnt sure if i found ones that will fit.

Here is a chain i found

http://www.d2moto.com/p-54271-530-x-102-links-heavy-duty-chain.aspx

here is a sprocket i found

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Yamaha-Front-17-Teeth-Sprocket_7

DO these look like they will fit an 81 xs400g special II? Im fairly new and dont know alot and i need to leave before school starts so i need to order these now!

Thanks

The chain will work but the sprocket will not. you need a sprocket for a 81 or older xs400. not the 82 and later 400 maxim there not the same. As far as the ride id just stop every hour or two to let the bike cool down.

Posted via Mobile

yea your bike should be fine, I believe around 60 mph is a good cruising speed. Don't go full throttle all the time, no bike likes that but they should be alright. You, on the other hand, might get tired after 3 hours.. But that's up to you to find out :p

Your bike should be fine IF everything is well maintained. For example, I went for a 5 hour ride last week (2.5 hours one way, visiting a friend) and found out my dirty tank was cloggin up my inline fuel filter by the time I was halfway back. Not great. I wouldn't go unless you're pretty sure all things are in order with the xs.

I have not been able to take any long cruises on my bike either cause of mechincal issues.I have had it on the hiway at 65mph for a few miles,sprockets and chain are on my shopping list for the next month.

I was told with in the last day or so, on the "what did I do with your XS today" to pick up a chain that has been nickel'd. The chain I had bought, wasn't taken care of, and rusted apart. you can see the photo there.

Last edited:
Find out if the one you are considering is made in China and if so, give it a pass and buy one made in Japan. My new one is a "D.I.D. 50" roller chain made by Daido Kogyo in Japan.

Okay, I have found that chain for $40 bucks at partzilla.

Yea, I got the JT 17t from Amazon a year ago. I have loved it ever since, it seems its only $12.13, with free shipping from amazon if you have a combined purchased over 25 bucks. Well good luck!

Hey anyone know of the stock sprocket count like is it 16-35 or some thing I seen a kit chain and both sprockets in a 17-32 and was wondering if it would be a good combo. Both of my sprockets are nearly worn out and the chain wasn't well looked after by the po.

once I get the carbs cleaned and sorted out I plan on riding her on long trips.

I believe you are right. When I wanted to lower my cruising revs in high gear over a year ago, the only option was to increase the front to 17T. Worked very well and I was very pleased. Not enough room for an 18T.
I would have considered also reducing the tooth count on the rear but, at the time, I could not find a source for a smaller rear sprocket. The Maxim's is already reduced from what Yamaha put on the 6-spd Seca which, if memory serves was 37 or 38.
Can you post a link to the 32T? Could it be for a set of 520 sprockets and chain and not for a 530?

Last edited:
Yup,
http://www.xs400.com/media/albums/343/
17T, 37T
Yup, I totally enjoy the 17T upgrade. (I did not like that the 16T had no definable RPM difference from 5th gear to 6 gear. Now with the 17T there is generally 10 MPH difference from the RPM scale. (my experience was the 60MPH equaled 6000RPM. at 6th gear. now it would report 60MPH at 5300 RPM or so.

How every there seems to me there is an outstanding bet going on for someone to Youtube a vid of a Wheelie. if that gear ratio makes your bike more apt for that! Hurry up and start Youtubbin! (17T 37T no wheelie)

I had 35T on the rear and 16T on the front.
When Yamaha put a 5 spd in the Maxim instead of a 6 speed, they didn't give the tranny the same top gear ratio. Instead, they used different sprockets to give the same rpms in top gear as the 6 spd xs400s. At 60 my rpms were 6,000.

Being already at 35T, I had only one possible adjustment. I was envious of those who could also consider also dropping the 37T rear to a 36 or 35.

Hey anyone know of the stock sprocket count like is it 16-35 or some thing I seen a kit chain and both sprockets in a 17-32 and was wondering if it would be a good combo. Both of my sprockets are nearly worn out and the chain wasn't well looked after by the po.

once I get the carbs cleaned and sorted out I plan on riding her on long trips.

I don't think you will be happy with 17-32. The engine will be revving too low and you will be downshifting to pass or climb a hill. At least that has been my experience with 17-34...

well I don't pass typically, I'm about the ride not the speed. so a 17-34 would be a good ratio to ride with then? I was tempted to find a seca engine and try to put that into the frame so I can have 6 speeds but now I figure just a new ratio would be better.

Well i got my 17t sprocket and chain. Sprocket took two minutes. The chain on the other hand was a lot more difficult. I should have gotten either one or two links larger over stock. The chain is very tight. How tight is too tight in terms of damaging the bearings in the engine. have about 1/4-1/2 inch slack right now and that's pushing pretty hard. The chain does not get tighter when i lay on the seat and pull myself to the ground(almost full compression). Im hoping the new chain will quickly stretch and be closer to the stock specs.

That sounds waaayyyy over tight. I've always adjusted my chain for a little less than an inch play. if you have to put any force to deflect it, you might want to add a couple of links or get another chain...

... I should have gotten either one or two links larger over stock. The chain is very tight...
Did you buy a specific length of chain off a large bulk roll? If so, then you could go back and buy a couple more links and another master link.

If you bought a packaged chain, they usually come in multiples of 5 or 10 so you can grind off a couple if you need say 103 links.
When I did my 17T, it definitely tightened the chain just over half a link as I recall. In my case, the chain had been adjusted a couple of times so I was easily able to find the additional half link.

I bought a 530x102 chain from Old Bike Barn. I assume it was perfect for a 16t sprocket but the 17t made it too short. The adjustment screws are bottomed out and the chain is still tight. The chain is rivited so im not sure how you would go about adding a link. I still have my old chain/master link.

Back