metal rescue : opinions thoughts or comments?

branson

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a very rusty tank. Was thinking of using metal rescue but I don't know jack about it. I'm hoping to garner a list of pros cons ratings etc on it for both my knowledge and anyone else with a rusty / crusty tank trying to clean it up. Any intel is welcome. Thanks in advance

I've had less than stellar results with evaporust historically. I don't care if it eats paint dissolves flesh n bone or anything it contacts as long as it won't harm the metal but will kill the rust. Vinnegar is too weak

Acids are great at eliminating rust, since they have very reactive hydrogen ligands (my favorite chemistry term) that end up binding to the oxygen in the rust. Unfortunately, it also etches the metallic surface, which allows future rust to appear faster if you don't give it a protective coating fast enough after cleaning it (I hear that motor oil is a good choice for this). Make sure to use a fairly dilute acid solution though, as the water that this reaction produces would otherwise promote "hot spots" where it is more corrosive. Combine this with how the acid etches the metal and you are just asking for trouble!

When I was working at my co-op, we used a 1molar phosphoric acid solution to remove the native oxide on aluminum. The more corrosive the acid solution, the faster it should work, so you should be able to get away with nearly any acid. I've heard people use anything from Coca Cola to perchloric acid and HF to eliminate rust. Also, never use those last two: perchloric acid can easily dissolve your skin and HF is like a ghost that eats through bone.

Hmm. Good info. What should I dilute it with? Plain ol h2o from my dehum? And what acid would you reccomend for a 24 hour heavy rust removal?

Hmm. Good info. What should I dilute it with? Plain ol h2o from my dehum? And what acid would you recommend for a 24 hour heavy rust removal?

I would suggest either phosphoric or acetic acid, since they form salts with iron ions; this should allow the iron from the rust to be removed from the tank with just some rinsing. I also recommend using thick rubber gloves when using any concentrated acid: trust me when I say that acid burns are not pleasant. Water from a dehumidifier is great, though any distilled water should be good enough. You are looking to get an acid concentration of at most 50% for this (remember the chemistry lab rule to add acid to the water when diluting the concentrated stuff).
Keep in mind that concentrated acids also tend to stink, and the vapor can be hazardous, though you can make a makeshift fume hood with a large box fan, a table, some cardboard/anything rigid, and duct tape: fan at the end of the table (blowing away from it), cardboard taped around the fan to make a tunnel that you can work in. Don't forget to neutralize the acid before disposing of it!

I'm surprised that vinegar didn't work out for you, since it is essentially a 5% acetic acid solution :shrug:. I would go to a 10% next, and 15% if that doesn't work.

Evaporust only did half the job. =( fail. I wonder if it'd be cheaper to just buy a new tank at this point?

So, do it a second time.

Do the vinegar. Let it sit for 3 ~ 4 days. Rinse, repeat. At only $2.50 a gallon, it's the cheapest thing going.

Or, pick up a gallon of swimming pool acid at the local Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Fill the tank 1/2 full with water first, add the gallon of acid, top off with water. Let sit for a few hours. Done. Be VERY safety oriented - rubber gloves, eye/face/splash protection. Done.

Like I said at the very beginning... :)

Ooh I've got a gallon of acetone paint thinner and miracle spirits(I jokingly refer to mineral spirits as mineral spirits after i mispoke one day). Which one workks best. I'm think 50/50 mix? The reason I'm avoiding vinnegar is because its time to ride.

Acetone won't react with rust, but it will react violently with acids (e.g. the vinegar residue in your tank). It is more likely to promote rust since it would remove anything that is protecting the metal from further oxidation. Mineral spirits are just mixtures of hydrocarbons, so it would have pretty much the same effect as adding fuel to the tank.

I don't know what kind of acids are used in swimming pools, but I would would imagine that it would be a fairly strong one so I urge caution if you go that route. To me, a full gallon of a strong concentrated acid just seems like you'd be asking for trouble. :shrug:

Edit: You might be able to combine the vinegar and electrolysis methods in order to get it done faster, and as far as I know that would still be one of the cheaper options. I think it's still too cold out to enjoy a ride anyway, but imagine all the effort and $ you would have saved by just letting it soak in vinegar for the last three days! The reason we keep pushing the vinegar is that it is probably the easiest, cheapest, and safest way to go, and since any time you deal with rust it takes a while to do it right since you are basically fighting nature. (She fights dirty!)

Last edited:
How bad is the rust in this tank?? Unless it's caked on, a little rust in the take won't make a huge difference, as long as you have an inline fuel filter.

Milk stone is a hard deposit that builds up in milking equipment. Milk stone remover is an acid that removes these deposits.
It also removes rust. Last time I checked it cost about $8.95 a gallon. Put in a gallon, agitate, well, repeat a few times, pour out into a plastic bucket. inspect tank. You can keep using the MSR untill the rust is gone. It's safe to use, If youhave sensetive skin you might want to wear rubber gloves.
Remove the pet cocks and use a block off plate to seal the holes. May react poorly with aluminum.
Leo

I ended up using the Works toilet bowl cleaner. Easy and super cheap and quick.
$5 and an hour later my tank is as clean as a ...... ugh and still is!
All i did was pour it into my tank and swish it around a bit and let sit with the cap open, or it could be a bomb, and waiting a couple minutes and swooshed it around again.after a hour of that i dumped it out and rinsed with water a couple times, force air dried it and then add fuel or fog it with WD40 like i did!

Back