motor don't run

LUCHO

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello ,

It's a long time that i don't post so i work again on my chopper , i put the motor on a other frame to try to start it.

I use the old electrical cable harness and put all the parts regulator , regulator rectifier and other.

I put a battery and the motor turn but don't start so i look if there is a problem electrical.

i have 12 v after fuse box but no ignition..

Is there someone who have pictures to testing regulator and regulator rectifier , for the ignition coils i have new then non problem with them.
Thanks a lot for your answers sorrry for my bad english , i'm french.

Lucho

you don't need a reg/rec to start the bike up, so it won't affect starting.

depends if its electronic ignition or contacts

Take a spark plug out and see if it sparks when you try the start it

I would have tried to started with the spark plug out but i had nothing . i think there are old i am going to buy new.

I wouldn't have know that a motor can start without the regulator rectifier ?! and for this regulator i must have it to start ?

you don't need a reg/rec to start the bike up, so it won't affect starting.

depends if its electronic ignition or contacts

For my bike it's a classic so i don't have electronic ignition , there is anything when the motor turn at the contact breakers .

Battery power to 1 side of ignition coil, the other side goes to contacts (make sure the condensor is earthed) battery earthed too.
that's it to start bike on kicker

The condensor os fixed to the frame so it is earthed but i dont understand what you mean when you said : Battery power to 1 side of ignition coil, the other side goes to contacts.
it's difficult to me to understand in french.

I will look again all electrical to see if there is no electrical earthing problem.
I will take photos for seeing my problem.

One of the ignition coil connections get connected to the battery positive (+) via ignition switch, fuse, kill switch, etc. The other connection goes to the ignition points (contacts) which provides the connection to the battery negative/earth (-).

For testing purposes, one can connect the battery positive (+) directly to the ignition coils and the battery negative/earth (-) to the engine case. Then kick to run! To turn off, disconnect the battery. Don't leave the battery connected in this fashion if the engine is not running or damage to the ignition coils will result.

I will test and i will see , i think that i'll
be back to ask information if i don't arrive i will take pictures.

Is there anybody who can tell me the electrical fonction of this regulator ?

for the voltage before the ignition coil i have 12 v but nothing at the spark plug , i think perhaps that there is a problem at the contact breakers ? What do you think ?

No idea about that electronic part.

You should not get a measurable voltage at the spark plug. If you do, the coil would be damaged. If you make a spark when testing, you may damage your meter, so stop trying! As you have power to the coils, the next to check would be if you have power at points (when they are open!). If you do, you should get a spark when the engine is kicked over.

I don't measure the voltage at the spark plug , i just take measure with the meter before the ignition coil with the contact put.

I said that i doesn't have spark coming from the spark plug .

I'm going to look the points breaker because i don't have spark at them but one question if the points breaker does not work , the spark plug make no spark ?

all the points (contacts) do is complete the circuit to ground for the coils.

when the contacts open, there is still power inside the coils and they jump to the secondary part inside the coil and then to the spark plug as it the fastest way to negative (earth)

thats basically how the ignition works.

timing is done via the contacts for each cylinder

Ok thanks a lot Drewpy , in the week i'm going to verify the contacts breaker , i have 3 motors there will be good contacts on one of them.

The contact breaker don't open , i must make adjustment of ignition.

Is there a post with all explication ?

Back