Motor noob needs advice on reanimating old beauty.

Malinko

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum, to motors and to motor driving and basically know nada.

I have a beautyful xs 400 se from 82 that has been stored for 3 years by its previous owner (Outside, covered unfortunately)
Now I am putting a list together of all things to do before trying to start it, so far I have thought of the following:
-New battery
-Refresh engine oil
-New bougies
-New oil filters
-Clean carburateur

I'm probably missing a few here...

If anyone has advice of the slightest amount I'de be very thankfull!

Many thanks from Holland:D

How about some new fuel? ;)

Inspect the gas tank for rust/debris.

Inspect and gently clean the air filters.

Spark plugs are cheap and easy to install.

Add an in-line fuel filter between the gas tank and carburetor.

I don't know what a bougie is :p I'd recommend new tires if the age is unknown.

Replace the chain if the age is unknown.

Spin the wheels by hand and listen for strange noises.

Inspect the brake pads and brake function.

Replace the brake fluid if applicable.

Lubricate the cables.

A lot of these aren't necessary for starting the engine alone, but you'll be thinking about them soon enough anyway.

Thanks for the advice, Bougies are called spark plugs in english I think :p
Any idea what type of fuel filter I should use?

This is her by the way..:wink2:

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 243
Nice front fender. Is that stock?

I would use a right-angle stone type fuel filter. Most small motor supply stores have them for cheap (lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc). Just match the fuel line size to the filter.

Attachments

• Right_Angle_Fuel_Filter__61967.1352216553.1280.1280.jpg
    Right_Angle_Fuel_Filter__61967.1352216553.1280.1280.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 218
Welcome:) Another good thing to check is the intake manifold boots for cracks. Over time these cracks can cause air leaks.

I'm loving all the tips :D Thnx xschris
Glad I'm not in this alone Levdir!
And I think last owner added the front bender Bcware,
I am also looking for a new brake clamp (front) as rust has gotten the best of it, looking through some site they offer 2 types of brakes for xs400
1981 - 83 FA041 (P064)
1982 - 84 FA081 (P021)
There isn't a lot of explenation on the difference :/
Prices are the same...

I would say the 81-83 is what you want as the other would be for the dohc model. Your bikes model code is 4G5 so that should help when looking for parts.

Hey nog een Nederlander :) welcome!

here's a start *CLICK*

if you need anything translated, or are ever near Scheveningen just let me know ;) Around here you will probably find fuel filters that look like this, which is what I use as well.

461-763.jpg

Hello again motor lovers!:D

With new energy (new money that is) I start working again on my beautiful motor.
I am allready having 2 problems:

1. I can't find a brake claw (if thats what its called in eng) anywhere, i searched over 30 webshops, either I'm doing something very wrong:confused:, or they don't exist no more. Anyone know a good supplier? USA webshops may be a problem as I live in the Netherlands.

2. I managed to start her a few times (God what a delicious sound it makes /drool) but when revving there is a rattling sound inside when revving goes down, and it sounds scary to me. I don't know any people loaded with motor skills, but I dont want to just bring her to a garage and let them have all the fun... Maybe make video and post on forum?

Thnx voor de tip Willem! Ik heb er nu zo eentje op zitten :) Helaas heeeeeeel ver van scheveningen, namelijk Schoorl (dichtbij Alkmaar)

Many Many thanks for all the help so far! :bike:

Good to see more dutchies here ;)

a 'remklauw' is actually called a brake caliper :) heidentuning sells new (imitation ones) and german ebay is a good source for used ones. Marktplaats has some as well, they're the same as some models of the xs650

Sure, post a video of that sound you're talking about, that will help diagnose any issues.

For the brake caliper I believe there are some alternatives (other model yamahas from that era) but I'm not entirely sure which ones. Look for a part number in the parts list (those are in the sticky with the manuals) and see if you can find it with that. German ebay works well indeed. You could also try Bolman Motoren (shop in Den Haag) if they have it, they have loads and loads of used parts. Not sure if they ship stuff but you could try.

Back