Mounts point importance

rockjock729

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
how important is the rear upper bolt? I failed to photograph all the mount points when I pulled the engine(and everything else) off the bike. Now that I am placing the engine back in, I have a problem. I see where the lower back bolt, the lower front bolts, and the upper bolts attach but the upper back bolt does not have anything to hang onto. I do not recall what it was bolted to and do not see where I would add on anything. I do remember having to cut away something on the 77 frame(the frame was shot) but I do not see anything similar on the 81.
Did something change between the years? If so, what was the bolt for now? Are the three points (lower back, front and top) of contact sufficient?

The 81-82 frames don't have the upper back mounts because they use different lower front mounts. The lower rear ones have rubber dampeners in them.

Last edited:
Good point. The lower front triangula brackets seem to be made of very thin metal, about 1mm. Does that seem right to you?

Yes the front lower ones are made from a lighter steel. Post pics of what you have if your not sure they are stock.

Back