MPG

Best I've had is around 70 MPG (taking secondary highways, so cruising around 80km/h). I typically get a bit better than 5L/100km (which is about 50 MPG I think), and that's "spirited driving" zipping around town and the back roads.

... how are all of you measuring fuel used per ride? ...
Welcome to the Forum Amy.
I went old-school and kept a ledger on paper in a little ringed note book. I recorded 3 columns for the date, mileage and amount of gas at each fill-up and reset the trip odometer each time. If I filled to the same level, it was uncanny how I would need to switch to reserve within 2 or 3 kms of the same count every time.

It's too bad you can't buy your gas in litres because with my DOHC Maxim I would consistently get just over 20 kms per litre so the math is easy. Just double your litres and slide the decimal over and that's how far you can go (plus a little).
Or divide your kms by 2, slide over the decimal (minus a little) to get how many litres you've used.
I worked it out once over a whole season of riding and I think it equated to 53 miles per US gallon.
Some folks up here still remember the imperial gallon (which is bigger), and allows you to claim 20% more mileage per "gallon".

Even though the Seca has an extra gear, it has a different sized wheel and a different rear sprocket - so overall, the same final drive ratio in top gear - just under 5000 rpm at 60 mph with stock sprockets.

I went old-school and kept a ledger on paper in a little ringed note book. I recorded 3 columns for the date, mileage and amount of gas at each fill-up and reset the trip odometer each time. If I filled to the same level, it was uncanny how I would need to switch to reserve within 2 or 3 kms of the same count every time.

This sounds like a method I can do - it'd be easy to keep a little notebook & pen in an inner pocket of my riding jacket, and the three columns of data would do the trick. Might eventually put the info into a spreadsheet & track that way, since I'm a database nerd for my day job.

Great suggestion! Thanks! :)

... Might eventually put the info into a spreadsheet & track that way, since I'm a database nerd for my day job ... ! :)
Maybe for your initiation, we could get you to go super-nerdy and track ambient temperature and relative humidity in a 4th and 5th column - correlating the effect of each on mileage in a 6th column.
This is the stuff (we think) we need to know.

Maybe for your initiation, we could get you to go super-nerdy and track ambient temperature and relative humidity in a 4th and 5th column - correlating the effect of each on mileage in a 6th column.

Ha! I'll see what I come up with & report back. :)

Fuelly.com is the database, you two choices, you can log the odometer reading, or you can just put in the miles driven, then it gives you a a chance to admit your wifed filled up, and didn't top it off, or partially filled, so that it doesn't skew your milage readings.

Then it shares that with the bike type. (i think)

Back