My first project :)

Well i was able to sqeeze the 10 bucks out of her for the float bowl gaskets. I also made a parts list of things this bike needs immediately before i even try to start her. I already hired the local college body shop to mold the bike into the design i want and have to get the bike there next month (i don't have the tools or knowlege of how to do this myself). I also have a guy lined up to airbrush my paint design on it in March next year(again no tools or knowlege on how to do this).

Last edited:
I think that will be the time frame for me as well. I don't know how to do it myself either, but I guess I will learn along the way. Worse case, I have to have someone else do it or show me how.

Well i found the college has a tech program for engines and body work. I asked the auto body dept instructor if they do motorcycles and they said they will start their students on that subject in november and are always looking for projects to do. all i have to pay for are parts as needed.

You might check out the local tech schools if you need help with it.

i am a full time mechanical engineering student, and on campus there is a motorcycle and boat repair class and i stop in there all the time and ask questions, the teacher keeps telling me to bring the bike in. they put my tires on and balanced them for FREE :) they always need stuff to work on especially in the winter

Well i want to call some of it my own handi-work. So i am tackling the engine and electrical. the rest of it ill allow someone else do the work.

I know the topic has taken a turn and I'm not trying to hijack it...but kinda. I was gonna show Gaby how I'm making my seat. This is the mold out of foam, similar to your cardboard. I kinda take a different approach at this point. I'm going to bondo and sand this to form before I make my negative mold so there is less work later. Then glass over this form and I have a negative that I can use multiple times. HOPEFULLY this will mount into stock locations as long as I've measured right. Still some sculpting to do but it emulates the back of the tank.

The reason for the hijack what do you guys think of the shape?

Attachments

• IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3626.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 256
Actually, I like that shape. I just made another cardboard shape similar to yours except the back end was not rounded down, will post another pic tomorrow. I can't seen to be able to decide on the seat shape.

Also, I was thinking about keeping the original 79 tank, but having it dented in 'knee dent' and that should give it a thinner look. Either that or getting another tank, only that it is not easy to figure out what tank to use just from pictures.

yeah plenty of debate on which tank is the best and which fits. I have done a ton of searching and it seems that the tripple back bone makes it near impossible to mate a tank too most people modify the frame or tank to match. I actually had to get a new tank the one that came on the bike rusted through all over but I got a good deal on a rust free replacement. I'm hoping to use the old tank to do my knee dents and then cut off the bottom where it rusted so I don't have to hurt my new shiny one.

I know the topic has taken a turn and I'm not trying to hijack it...but kinda. I was gonna show Gaby how I'm making my seat. This is the mold out of foam, similar to your cardboard. I kinda take a different approach at this point. I'm going to bondo and sand this to form before I make my negative mold so there is less work later. Then glass over this form and I have a negative that I can use multiple times. HOPEFULLY this will mount into stock locations as long as I've measured right. Still some sculpting to do but it emulates the back of the tank.

The reason for the hijack what do you guys think of the shape?

Ok.. here is the mock up of the seat I made.. still not convinced though.

ef4481a5.jpg

Please clean that fuse box up or get rid of it. The metal in the box gets brittle when exposed to the elements and the prongs snap off. What's with the rogue wire piggybacking off your ignition fuse? The glass fuses are hard to find in the right size in a local store; everyone seems to carry a style slightly longer and skinnier. I switched to blades.

Found where that wire was connected, it was connected to the left controller. ???? I am not sure why since there were no signals, no horn and the switch for low/bright was broken off.

Im gonna try it, but I still have not taken everything apart to put it back together yet. Kinda chicken. All I have left to pull out is the motor and then tires etc. Wondering if I am actually going to get it done :(

Pulling the motor is pretty easy. If you need help just ask. Mine is sitting on my work bench right now.

Be patient Gabys. Hang a picture of how your bike will look when you are finished and use it as an inspiration and motivator. You will be banging your head against the wall from time to time but in the end it makes it all worthwhile. Keep working hard on it and you will realize success. I too have doubted if i will ever get my bike done and if it is even worth the time and effort to do it. Many times i have thought about just parting it out and buying a bike that already runs good. Then i look at the picture of what i want it to look like and it motivates me to keep at it. Hang in there and keep working at it and if you run into a snag come in here and post your issues. These guys here are a great bunch and will surely help you over that hump.

Thanks guys! I am working with a set of very basic tools, probably just a step above what is included with a bike.. lol. And I have no idea what I am doing. So, I definitely appreciate the input.

Once I get the motor out (need bigger socket wrench, maybe get a set from Costco?) I need to take the frame somewhere to get it painted, but before that I need to figure out the seat thing and grind off all the little tabs and extra stuff I don't need to be there... I don't think my nail file will work :(

frame and tabs - buy an angle grinder for the tabs with a cutting wheel, grinding wheel and flap disc. harbor freight has them for cheap. personally, i like dewalt and milwalkee. pay more, but its way worth it.

and as for paint, sand it down, prime it, couple coats of your color of choice, then a couple coats of clear. all from a can. rustoleum is my brand of choice. if you prep it, it will look great, and youll spend less money than having it done somewhere. unless you know someone.

Back