my fist attempt at a custom 80 xs400

I have the materials to build a manometer, but I am not sure how exactly to sync the pilot circuits. I am going to have to do some research and look it up because I definitely need it.

I dropped down to +1 on the pilot and +2 on the main in addition to lowering my floats 1 mm. The bike seems to be running well, but I am getting a lot less back-pressure from the exhaust on one side (this was happening before I changed jets) which is probably due to the butterfly valves not being synced. Once I open the throttle I get plenty of back-pressure.

Hey,South Tx 400,where in S. Tx You live?I moved from Rancho Viejo about 7 yrs ago.Had my business on South Padre Island.Pretty good place if you're not afraid to shoot!lol lha

Hey Ihaolpa, im from Donna which is like the mid valley area but im goin to school right now in Austin... im really missing the bike right now but lucky for me, i only have about three weeks left in the semester :) Looks like you got out of the Valley just in time to avoid all of the border violence!

Hey,south Tx 400,I lived outside Rancho Viejo and had my business at South Padre Island.I lived there about 15-16 years,and have been to Donna many times.I mostly went to the Rifle range by the river,but also did some construction jobs there.I didn't have a bike when there,as there are some of the craziest drivers I've ever seen down there!I've got my Yamaha Dt400 repop almost done,and will shortly begin to work on the xs400rj seca DOHC that I bought.They were both good mechanically,but had some rust,and exposure issues.I'm going to go for the original look,with very little embellishments.Later,after I ride it and work all the bugs out of it,I'll sell it and buy myself 2 more rescue-able bikes.I also lived in Austin in the early '80's,as a matter of fact,when my '82 was new.It's a great party town and the Hole-in the Wall bar should have a plaque in my honor for keeping them open.HaHa!!!!lha

I would try moving the clip on the needle down a notch or two[raising the needle],then see how it runs.If it cuts out at higher speed[above 1/2-3/4 throttle],then go up a high speed jet at a time,trying it out in between changes.Don't just go up 2-3 jets at a time,and miss the perfect combination of needle setting and jet size,etc.Make sure your carbs are very clean,so you can maximize the adjustments. Also make sure your points[if it is so equipped]are set right and in good shape,and the timing is right,as these problems could make it hard to tell if your probs are carb related or not. lha

Last edited:
Back