my new project/ first bike/81 xs400h

yep, one arm but it needs to be super strong, im going to have to gusset the bottom and top and create mounts for the top shock mount and lower rocker mount. I'll also have to streach it 2-4 inches to make sure I have clearance for the linkage/shock to fit in there. the shock i bought has a 700lb/in rate spring in it soll ill have to design it with a bit more angle in the rocker to account for the bigger spring.

I figure it will take me a weekend to make the swingarm and another weekend to mount it too the bike, all in all it seems like the best, least invasive option for a monoshock setup, im real excited to see how it comes out

I think after im done i'll hack off the triangular seat mount portion of the frame and make my own out of something a bit more sleak

Volcom, does your swingarm have the link for drum brakes on it? (should draw some funny glares when people see a shock setup off an 06 cbr and a drum brake wire wheel :) )

im addicted to ebay!!!!.....but not really. I just bought a front fork off of a 93 gsxr 600 with all the triple trees and axle and all. I dont really feel like dealing with my 30 year old fork thats allready leaking...for 175$ i cant really go wrong with a set of modern forks (inverted looks cool as hell too!!)

the swap should be pretty easy up top, if i need to i can use the lathe to make the tapered berings i just got fit on the gxsr triple trees. I read an article where a guy took the same set of forks and put them on a xs650 no problem.

the biggest issue will be getting my rim and tire to fit, i can make an axle on my lathe if need be but ill have to make a bracket to hold the notch for the drum hub...oh well, i figure I cant put a cool setup on the rear without going big up front.......

guess my budget cafe racer is a bit over budget, its gona be like xmas next week with all the goodies i have coming! :)

man this thing is gonna be sick! its gonne be more or a streetfighter/cafe blend with all the modern parts. AKA - Badass.
my swingarm is for a disk brake setup, but im sure its just a little welding here and there.

thanks Volcom, I cant wait to get some parts in and see how it looks with those inverted forks up front :)

ill make your swing arm work, I may end up ditching the drums i have if i decided to go to 2wheel disk, who knows

ill probably end up just using gixer parts for the front because the ebay stuff is so easy to come by

Ive cahnged my mind alot this week about what i want the bike to look like, ive drifted away from classic cafe to modern cafe/ streetfighter, cant wait to see how it turns out

If i get the charging issue fixed this week im going to bring it to my moms and tear it down (more space in her garage)

yeah i may try to, but i really dont want to keep buying that stuff from ebay cause its all super expensive to ship...im pretty much cutting my self off budget wise right now, im oing to pick up a set of mags from a xs650 this weekend and im going to use those for now, i am going to use a gsxr front caliper, master and disk tho

yeah i may try to, but i really dont want to keep buying that stuff from ebay cause its all super expensive to ship...im pretty much cutting my self off budget wise right now, im oing to pick up a set of mags from a xs650 this weekend and im going to use those for now, i am going to use a gsxr front caliper, master and disk tho
Word of caution....the 400 has a 17mm rear axle, and the 650 has a 20mm.....Just in case you didn't know already!

Thanks HT, I figured it would be different that swingarm is going to be swisschees when im done with it, ill have to mill the axle plate a bit bigger

No problem man...I just figured I'd let you know. I'm running 20mm axle plates, and a 650 rear wheel on my hardtail.

If you decide to just buy the plates instead of milling them out, PM Travis. I think his axle plate kits are under $40. Just another option though.

I may very well do that, ill have to see what the best method of streaching the swing arm is when I get there, if its easier to make the rear half ill buy plates, sometimes its cheeper to buy stuff like that then spend time to make it

You can use a 650 swingarm. Same width where it mounts to the frame. The swingarm from the 79 xs650 is on the right, the swingarm from the xj550 that I put on 81 xs400 is on the left.

Harvey

Attachments

• HPIM1405.jpg
    HPIM1405.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 381
You can use a 650 swingarm. Same width where it mounts to the frame. The swingarm from the 79 xs650 is on the right, the swingarm from the xj550 that I put on 81 xs400 is on the left.

Harvey
Is the 650 swingarm mounting bolt the same size as the 400? Have you had the 650 arm on the XS400 yet? Any difference in lengths at all between the 650 and 400 arms?

I didn't mount the swingarm, but I did slide the bolt through the swingarm and it did fit. Unfortunately, the two swingarms are the same length (no easy extension).

Harvey

I didn't mount the swingarm, but I did slide the bolt through the swingarm and it did fit. Unfortunately, the two swingarms are the same length (no easy extension).

Harvey
Cool.....thanks for the confirmation! I can't really use the info (hardtailed mine), but info like that is invaluable to the site!

igst - thats the same thread i was looking at. i remember seeing a chart for all the swing arms that will transfer over, but i cant seem to find it. ill do some more digging.

the alum swingarm looks cool, but with all the cutting and hacking im going to do steel would prpbably be best.

ran the bike on the road today a bit more, seems like its running better but who knows, took the carbs apart today...here is a bombshell...the jets that were in the bike were 170's....wtf???....isnt that huge??? (compared to the other set of 145's I have they look massive)

whats even more weird than that is that the bike is running lean even with the 170's in. both plugs look like they are running lean. im thinking maybe there is a screen filt that im missing somewhere that might be plugged, it still dosnt have crap for power under 4000 and over 6000.

I know those carbs are clean, i had them apart this morning.

any advice as to why im running lean with huge jets?? im going to change my intake boots to some that are less cracked now but even if it was sucking air through there i can see how the 170's would make up for it.

could it be that my air jets are limiting the 170's??

thanks

Back