My New Steed

PT_247

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked this lil beauty up from Redmax yesterday and took it out for its maiden voyage today.

840a70b2.jpg

966ff6ed.jpg

d585f02d.jpg

Rode up to Box Hill and although the brakes are totally crap it felt really nice, light, nimble and comfy (although the rear shocks are very firm). Unfortunately about 5 miles from Box it started running really bad but I nursed it there and parked up. The bike got loads of attention and lots of admiring ooo's and aaah's from the peeps checking out the bikes. Seems like a fuelling issue I think and could barely get over 40mph on the way home and really struggled to pull away from the lights etc. I shall whip off the carbs tomoz and give them a bit of a clean and check the plugs etc. Hopefully will get it running sweet again otherwise I guess I'll have to phone the chap I brought it from and get him to sort it out :)

get them to sort it straight away, if you mess with the bike they'll say its your fault because you "did something"

I would suspect the carbs too!

Gave the plugs a once over and cleaned the carbs today, bike is running much better :)

Taking it back to have gotten them to fix it would have taken longer than it took me to give them a clean and would have cost me in diesel so would only have been an option if I was unable to sort it. Redmax have been great and took lots of time chatting with me about the bike before I took it away from them.

I have gotten a fuel filter to fit today as it didn't have one prior, shouldn't be an issue with the fibreglass tank but will not do any harm to fit it :)

Am not a happy chappy, could handle the oil leaks (even though the seller told me it used no oil), could handle the dodgy electric start (coz kickstarts are cool), but to have welds break is not cool, the zorst rear mount has split, which now makes it unridable as the can is not held in place meaning the bike is running rough as hell. Am hoping its an easy fix but for the money I paid for this bike it shouldn't happen!

Kinda difficult to take it back as its up in Scotland now, but yeah the chap down at Redmax does seem a nice bloke. Am not gonna be able to get it south till November now tho so I'll have had the bike almost a year before I'd be able to get it back to him.

I'd phone/email him now, don't leave it till then and if he agrees to see it, tell him then its in Scotland and will be down asap.

getting it to him will probs cost more than the repair tho but you are right I should let him know :)

not sure exact length but think they are possibly 3" longer than standard. Front forks are standard yup :)

hahaha :D I've not investigated properly but Redmax seem to have done a nice job of keeping it tidy up front :)

I took the bike to a place locally in Scotland who welded it back up for me. They did a cracking job and even sprayed the metal work black after too all for £20... Well Chuffed :)

damn it, wanted to get out on it today as its the last time I'll be able to till November and its running like poo and un-ridable :(

Think it is in need of some proper engine out TLC anyway as it needs new gaskets as well as a full service. One of the coils is cracked so will replace them as well as the plugs and give the carbs another clean all at the same time, guess it gives me somit to do over winter but am gutted I couldn't get out on it today tho. Such a pretty little bike can be forgiven for most of this, just wish I'd not paid anywhere near as much as I did for it considering the only work Redmax seem to have done on it is cosmetic which I could have been done myself pretty much for almost £1000 less. Ah well, the joys of older bikes hey! :)

Back