My Seca project

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a project thread to keep all my questions in one place. I'll throw a pic up later, can't do it from this app.

I acquired an abandoned 1982 Seca 400. My mother bought a storage barn 6 years ago and it was in it. No one has come to claim it, so now it's mine. I don't plan too many changes, just want to get it running and safe to ride. BTW, I'm 43, so I don't need a bobber or cafe mod.

The bike was in pieces when I got it. Tank has some rust, wiring is a mess and there are parts missing.

So far, I've bought a manual, sorted out the wiring, cleaned the carbs, and got it to fire. Once I locate an air box I can work more on that.

Welcome to the forum. Does the bike have paper work for registration? We need pics :)

In Ontario an abandoned vehicle can be claimed and registered without having the original ownership. There is an extra cost, but it's minimal, I think $10 to replace the original ownership.

Attachments

• Seca.jpg
    Seca.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 402
  • seca2.jpg
    seca2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 393
Welcome! seems like you do have some work cut out for you, but there's a lot there as well. The airbox should go in before the rear shock and fender, just so you know :)

aftermarket 2-1 exhaust is nice

Welcome! seems like you do have some work cut out for you, but there's a lot there as well. The airbox should go in before the rear shock and fender, just so you know :)

aftermarket 2-1 exhaust is nice

Thanks. The air box and the shock were missing from the parts bucket that came with it. I have a lead from a user on this site, just waiting for him to get back to me with shipping costs.

One of the side panels is also missing, but most of the parts are there. Someone cut the frame at the back where the taillight mounts, but I have the parts and will weld it back on. I think it looks worse than it is. Once I get an air box I can clean up the wiring mess. I found a brand new in the box headlight on eBay and it is on the way.

Plan to paint the tank and body parts flat black.

Yea it got worse over time, so I replaced my seat with another second hand one which had a new cover. That one is now ripping at the front a little :doh:

My bike is a bit less black and a bit more dirty now actually

Okay, next question. I took the ignition to a locksmith friend of mine, he made me a key, as I didn't have one. The only blank he had that fit was too short, it would only grab the first pin, not a huge deal, but leaves it open to easy theft. I found some longer blanks on eBay, but don't know what blank I need. The part number for the ignition is 3JV-82501-00-00, but I can't find any info on the key.

I haven't done it myself, but I've read that yamaha dealers can help with getting the right keys. There should be a number on the ignition switch which they can use to make a key from scratch

I haven't done it myself, but I've read that yamaha dealers can help with getting the right keys. There should be a number on the ignition switch which they can use to make a key from scratch

Execpt: 1) my local dealer sucks 2) my friend is cheaper 3) I'm cheap! LOL

Thought about this, see number 3 above.

Seriously, this is the likely option, I have bought a key blank off eBay for $5 that I think will work. If not, I'm out the $5 and will replace the ignition switch.

Spent some time with the bike today. Painted the tank and front fender, found a way to mount the taillight and signals without having to weld on the piece of frame someone cut off. Oh and a quick patch on the seat.

Once the tank was dry, I put it on the bike and put some gas in it. Had it running for a few minutes, just to make sure it will actually run and not just fire. Sounded pretty good.

Drained the oil, removed the filter, but forgot to pick up a new one this week, so I will do that tomorrow and then fill it back up with fresh oil. Rewired and mounted the rear signal lights and then put it away. Took a couple pics.

full

full

Be extremely carefull when removing the oil filter bolt and cover and make sure you don't over tighten or you possibly break the cover.No more than 10 ft lbs on that bolt or just snug down.

Ugh, I go out to the garage last night to get a beer, and there a strong gas smell in the air, and a puddle under the bike. I think it was leaking from the petcock. Hopefully just the o-ring, but the tank has been welded before.

So the new headlight is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up. I located an air box and it is being shipped. Picked up an oil filter and ordered a new gasket for the petcock, hoping that fixes the leak.

Back