My Seca project

Headlight and air box are here. Upon closer inspection, the leaking tank is a few small holes that rusted through. Going to see if I can get it fixed. The holes are on the underside.

For a quick fix use JB weld. Buddy of mine did that and it's still good. Been on there for a couple years

You can use an epoxy tank liner as well, it's made to patch small holes and seal the entire inside. That would prevent new holes from becoming a problem, too :)

I have my tank lined with epoxy and I'm very happy with it. I heard it can last for decades

I used a thing from dutch manufacturer, called Tank Cure (tankcure.nl) but Kreem seems to be similar (kreem.com) or Red Kote (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/red-kote-fuel-tank-sealer-liner.html).

My stuff came in two components which you had to mix, the Kreem and Red Kote seems to be only one can which you can just dump in after you have a clean tank. Just follow the instructions to the letter ;)

Thanks Willem. I found Caswell tank sealer at a dealer close to here. Being shipped today. I read a few threads with people using it and having good luck.

Last edited:
that looks like the good stuff :thumbsup:

When closing the petcock hole and the fuel filler hole I simply used some duct tape and tinfoil (cut the shapes of the holes in tinfoil and stuck them on with 4 or 5 layers of duct tape. When applying the tank cleaner (rust remover) it does dissolve the duct tape glue a little, but you should be ok.

I also recommend cleaning off the epoxy on the inside of the fuel filler cap right after you apply it, my fuel filler cap barely fit after putting the liner in. It was also creating a vacuum inside the tank so I had to scrape off the epoxy from the inside of the hole again.

And I put the petcock bolts in to plug those holes, just screw them off and on again every day during the week of hardening to prevent them from locking in place. Works like a charm.

Ok, Headlight arrived and is now on. Airbox arrived, waiting on new jets for the carbs before I put the airbox in. Gas tank sealer is on the way to take care of the pesky pinhole leaks.

Clutch question: I am not sure what is normal here. I can feel tension when I pull the clutch lever, but the bike will not change gears unless I roll it forwards or backwards a bit. Of course I have not had the bike running long enough to do any sort of test ride, but I'm not sure the clutch is engaging properly?

The transmission needs to have it's parts moving to change gears smoothly. What you are describing sounds normal to me. At least, it is exactly what my bike does, and mine shifts well when riding. :)

Carb question:

I ordered new jets for my carbs, based on this breakdown http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1982/XS400RJ/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Looking at my manual, it says the "starter jet" should be #35, but every online parts breakdown of the carb shows the "pilot jet" as #42.5. I presume the pilot jet and the starter jet are the same thing, even the manual labels the breakdown as pilot jet, and there is no starter jet in the parts breakdown, only on the specs page.

The mains are listed as 117.5 and 127.5 on both, so that's what I ordered. Which pilots should I be using? I wish I could read the numbers off the old ones, but no.

I must need more pictures, no one is answering my questions.

Put in the jets that I ordered, hoping they do the job. Airbox is installed. Tank has been cleaned out and just waiting for it to dry before adding epoxy.

Couple new pics, nothing too exciting, but the headlight on and the airbox in! On the hunt for a shock now. Hope to get the tank sealed by the weekend, then I can fire it up and see how she runs.

full

full

very nice!

be careful for flash rust though, make sure you clean the inside of the tank right before you apply the epoxy

Back