My xs400

That's what I thought, I read it on another thread, just wanted to be sure, now as for the electricals, do I need to get new components for the rewiring or can I just jam it all into a mock oil tank ?

As long as they work I would keep them. Just don't put your battery and rectifier in there. They need air flow around them or they will over heat. The tci box should also have good air flow around it.

Right! I was thinking of going with a tube/cylinder type "oil tank" for the electrics...could I put the rect on the bottom or behind it, and the battery right under...what could I do to keep it guarded from the elements, with enough air flow? I was thinking a sheet metal box with vents? And...Tci box is?

Large round type? Small round type? Large hex type? Is it the large round type? Looks like what came in the jet kit...which only came with paired pilots, and singles main jets...

Right! I was thinking of going with a tube/cylinder type "oil tank" for the electrics...could I put the rect on the bottom or behind it, and the battery right under...what could I do to keep it guarded from the elements, with enough air flow? I was thinking a sheet metal box with vents? And...Tci box is?

As long as stuff is not in a sealed box your ok. The TCI is your transistor controlled ignition box. You want the large round mains for your bike. As for the size I would start with a 142.5 and see how that works but that's just for top end running the pilots is what will get it the idle/start proper.

I went up +1 on the pilots and +2 on the mains with pods and mac 2-1 exhaust.

You may want to buy a variety of sizes for the main jets, but I haven't heard of anyone needing 2 sizes up on the pilot jets YET.

The mains are the large round type for SOHC.

I just got the Mac 2-1 exhaust! Still on the fence about the gasket set this winter...I just feel like I might as well when I throw on the Mac....head gasket is barely leaking....gonna do my homework on that manual before I go ahead n install the Mac just yet....

Could anybody help me with what kind of material for the seats? Leather only lasts so long, or is that the best way to go?

Yes, but I have the older, 'square' sohc head. The newer 'round' sohc head doesn't seem to have this problem; the header relief in the 'round' head is deeper and allows the exhaust to sit deeper in the engine. I believe the newer 'round' head also reverses the direction of the header collars as well.

Bottom line:

Older, square SOHC head means you might need to replace the studs. I could get the nuts on the studs, but just barely. I wasn't comfortable with it. There does seem to be some variation in the depth that these studs are inserted, so your mileage may vary.

Back