Need advise. New to site and restoring bikes.

3dginc

1981 Yamaha xs400sh
Reaction score
Hi. I am brand new to the site so please forgive me for sounding so newbie. I just picked up a 1981 xs400sh. Completely stock. I am completely obsessed with it especially after seeing all of the cool things you guys have done with yours on here. I finally just got it running and that is going great. I really want to mod it like a cafe but not sure where to get parts. The first thing I want to remove are the goofy handlebars and get some nice straight ones that just come back towards me slightly. Any suggestions on where to get handlebars? Also, I want to change the seat out to make it more cafe but still be able to put my wife on the back. Any suggestions on that? Those are my first questions. I am sure I will have plenty more. Thanks in advance for your help.

dont know how eager you are to keep it cafe based but if you want a cool looking set of bars that come up and back a bit look into dirtbike style bars.

also, lots of cafe seats have the rounded tail bump thing that is actually padded, you could use that as a 2 up seat but sliding off the back may be an issue.

welsome to the forum

z1enterprises.com has bars as cheap as 15 bucks I think, but they are not knurled. I was worried about the bars potentially slipping in the mounts, but they are actually slightly off round and there is no way they are going anywhere. Measure the width from mount-to-mount before you buy and make sure you're getting the right diameter (mine was a 7/8ths).

A seat capable of a passenger can be a challenge if you're looking for a cafe style seat as they are essentially anti-passenger. Take a look at some "tracker" style seats. I bet you can find something you like and they are more conducive to adding a longer pad.

Alternatively you can make your own out of fiberglass or sheet metal. If you don't have the right tools sheet metal isn't an option without a reasonable investment in tools and can have a steeper learning curve. Fiberglass is not too bad from what I have seen, but if you want to make a strong seat (thick) it isn't that much cheaper than simply buying a pre-fabricated one.

As I have been mocking up different ideas for seats I have realized that there is also no way I can keep my stock battery box; it protrudes above the frame too much. Consider any idea carefully and examine your frame. Mine is going to require that I shave off several tabs and such.

Finally, you can also modify the stock seat; taking a chunk out of the front section and having it re-upholstered can add a much more aggressive look while retaining all functionality.

Ultimately weigh your budget, your needs, and carefully consider all expenses before choosing one route over the other.

I'd get a single seat and build a little trailer for the wife.

hi-mpl340001898c.jpg

been done before :D

welcome to the site

Thanks guys! Sorry took so long to reply. Had my settings weird and it didn't notify me.

First, for the seat...do you know if this will fit my pan? It is supposedley for an XS 650.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0657285280&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
It is pretty much like the one on the new Moto-Guzzi that I like.

2nd...thanks for info on the bars. I am trying to find some that go straight out and then angle down slightly. If anyone knows of any links to any send them my way. It would be much appreciated. I will definatley check those sites though.

3rd...having some issues with starting it first thing in the morning. After I spray the starting fluid in the carbs it works great and for the rest of the day. Just when it sits over night or if it sits all day at work the thing won't start right up. I have to carry the starting fluid with me in my pack everywhere I go. Any suggestions? I have torn the carb apart twice and everything seems clean. No gunk or anything.

4th...I have the original air filters. Is there a better option for replacement? They are 30 years old...hahaha.

Also, I should probably tell you about the bike like everyone seems to do on here. YOu guys I am sure will appreciate the deal I got. As you know it is the '81 XS400SH. The great part about it is it only has 617 miles total on it. The guy I got it from had bought it brand new in 81, drove it to 617, fell over and hurt hi nknee and never road it again. Stored it in his garage for 30 years and then sold it to me for $200. With new tires, battery and all I have maybe spent $900 total. The bike is a blast though but almost completely stock. Any suggestions on mods to do to it again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys!!!

the idea with clubmans is you mount them upside down so that your hunched over. a cheaper easier version of clip ons. here are some adjustable clubman bars. seem like a cool concept. also other stuff, but seems kinda expensive, espically because drag bars are like 15 bucks and on there there 45
http://omarsdtr.com/bars4.html.

Cheaper ones on bike master - same ones on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bike...3257196QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

personally, i like drag bars. they make almost anything have a meaner stance. and there DIRT CHEAP!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/blac...9954701QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and as far as that deal goes, your a dick. lol. NICE SCORE!

Back