Need advise on my 91 suzuki vx800

Iggster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys...sorry to ask this here but I find the group here a hell of a lot more helpful than the peeps on vx800.com.
Any way....got the xs400's sister home sunday. The 91 suzuki vx800. am having an issue with her and seeing if I can get some advise from everyone here. I drove her home (3 hour trip) and found a leaky fuel line. So yesterday replaced the fuel line and decided to clean the plugs while I was there. After cleaning the plugs and getting her all back together I started her up. She was idling fine but started backfiring like a bitch when you get on the throttle. Now the POS did cut out the baffles on the mufflers and I know she is running rich from the rear carb as i smell gas from that exhaust and can see it in the muffler. My question is, Do you think it would be possible to adjust the mixture scew on that carb to lean her up so she would be ok to drive until I can afford to replace the mufflers? Am finding out parts for this bike are a bitch to find.:confused:

its a possibility that one of the plugs ain't firing so is pushing the fuel out instead of combustion exhaust.

I'd change plugs first and see what happens.

its a possibility that one of the plugs ain't firing so is pushing the fuel out instead of combustion exhaust.

I'd change plugs first and see what happens.

She is firing...that side of the exhaust gets nice and hot! found that out by accident after I got done riding her home.:doh:

ok Found out the problem. The petcock is faulty. It is a vacuum petcock and even whe the fuel tank is off the bike fuel still pours out the petcock. This was letting fule soak all the way into the crankcase which as we all know is not good. I will be installing a fuel shutoff valve (manual) after the petcock to prevent it from doing this and hopefully that will sole it. Also of course changing the oil.

I just installed a fuel shut off valve between the petcock and the fuel pump for now. Changed the oil and got her running good! Now all that is left is take her on a nice run to burn off the rest of the oil that is still in the muffler.

Back