need help on how clutch works

fully

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
i recently purchased honda odyssey with the 400 special engine installed in it. believe it can off an 81 model. one cylinder has 150+psi and the other was below 90. so i have ordered new rings to solve that problem. but i can't figure out the clutch. how does it work. that rod should push in right, if so i can't push it in, feels and sound like it bottoms out and can't go any more. i can pull it right out though. i haven't pulled the side cover off yet to expose the clutch basket yet. but can someone explain to me how this works. don't want to spend a tonne of cash on this project.

The clutch is a fairly simple mechanism. When you pull the clutch lever it applies a counter pressure to the pressure plate in the clutch basket. The counter pressure retracts the pressure plate and so allows the clutch pads and plates to separate, preventing the transfer of energy between them. Springs keep pressure on this plate so that it compresses the clutch basket when you ease off of the clutch lever. There are diagrams of it floating around, and I'd strongly suggest you take a look at them so you can get a better idea of this. Or pics.

:D Hi there, Welcome to the forum, I just posted some pics of my ongoing issues at
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8340

Basically the pic with the 2 arrows, is what is pushing out on the basket. behind there is a steel bearing "do not lose" From the other pics you can see what is in there. It seems to me my problem that had me create that thread was (maybe) the grease I put onto that shaft created somesort of pressure on the suction/vacuum that pressed out too much on the right side of the case. Prevented the kickstart/ moving the bike in gear not to have any effect on the crankshaft. Weird.

Hope that helps, I guess only thing missing is "when you pull the clutch handle, it turns a gadget in the drive sprocket that screws out, and presses that shaft, then that will push the bearing, which presses the basket out, and allows you to change gears."

Good luck, hope I helpped out a little bit!
Tobie

So last Year, I had taken some pics of under the clutch basket, and the boss. this set here shows both sides, I had put the clutch rod backwards, I think that is the photo shown of the left side motor, the rod is suppose to have the shoulders/cut out, on the left side. and the photo showed me all jacked up.
http://www.xs400.com/media/albums/344/

I was trying to figure out the shims, I am going to be pulling mine apart to do one more check before riding seasons starts here in Wisconsin/Minnesota .

From this pic I have added, the four posts, have springs on them. Those springs make hard to push the clutch rod against the T, (pictured sticking out, cause I messed up the direction of the clutch rod).

full

This image shows the spring that puts pressure on your Clutch handle, at the handle bar, you can see the wire that goes to the handlebar from that contraption.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7977
This image is missing the bearing, (don't lose the bearing) This doo hickey is the pressure thing, that apply s pressure to the clutch plates via the worm drive.

So its not impossible to move the clutch plates off the boss, its easier if you use the items Yamaha put in there for you to use.

Good luck

Attachments

• Cluctch.jpg
    Cluctch.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 287
Your clutch has 6 springs that push the pressure plate closed, Each spring exerts about 50 lbs of force on the pressure plate. 6 x 50 is 300 lbs. That rods needs 300 lbs of pressure to open the clutch. If you can push the clutch push rod in with your hand, I don't want to shake your hand.
Leo

Back