Need help with gear shift mechanism

arl5370

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Progress has been somewhat slow on the XS of late. I am having an issue with the gear selection, so wouldn't mind your thoughts.

I re-installed the gears and joined the crankcases, then tested the gear change. The selector pawls don't engage the pins in the change drum. So, when I move the gear shifter up and down, they don't pull the change drum around for the next gear. I fiddled with the adjuster but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the range of adjustment I seem to need.

At one stage I manually rotated the shift drum and positioned the shift arms right next to a change pin, and I did get one gear change but that's it.

At the moment I have the cases split again (long story, involves not re-installing a shift rod e-clip :doh:).

I have attached two pix. One shows the position of the pawls with the gear level depressed, the other their 'resting' state.

I'm kind of out of ideas. I thought I'd sort it today by re-installing everything and making sure the shift pawls were next to a pin but no joy.

Thanks,

Ade

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 411
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 385
normally the engine is running when the gears change, have you spun the crank over when changing gears, you may find that is all that's the problem

Thanks drewpy. I've been spinning the input and output shafts as best I can whilst operating the shift pedal but admittedly it's not very fast. I'll get my wife to give me a hand and see if that makes a difference. I imagine trying to move the gears whilst they're not spinning that fast puts strain on the shift pins, selector rods etc and all contributes to the problem.

Back