New exhaust... Will I need to rejet?

You wont know for sure until you run them. I would say at least you will have to turn out you idle mix screws out another turn and maybe up one on the mains. But see how it runs and adjust for the ares have are not smooth.

This may be a bit off topic but I had my carbs apart (to clean them again of course) and I found that the washer had flipped up along side the idle mix screw. I will need a new washer but do I have to replace the screw? It got a little but of brass stripped off its shards from the washer but the tip looks fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 428
Then as kind of a secondary question to that I do have spare idle mix screws but they look a little different so I never switched them... But I came across an xs650 post that said they were just a new type of the same screw... Anyone have any experience with that? Are they interchangeable?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32072

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
I would stick with the stock ones. The others have a tapered tip like the 77-79 xs400 carbs had which had a tendency to snap off in the carb bodies.

I have those Emgo megaton mufflers on my 82 xs400 special, they look the same as the dimecity ones. I had to use exhaust tape as a gasket to make them fit on the stock headpipes. The sound is incredible, it is not to loud, nothing like a harley. Im happy because now cars can hear me coming in the blind spot. I think i should rejet or do some adjustment to the carbs though, but i cant hear any flat spots, and the bike does not feel like it lost power. This winter im planning to get a modern electronic ignition system, and KN filters, to see how much performance i can get. does anyone know of a good guide to tuning the bikes engine and carbs?

Back