new guy here! couple questions

logan

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey! I just got a xs400 today, Im really stoked!:D found it in a guys backyard and asked him about it, he said its just sat there for quite afew years , and if I gave him 50 bucks I could take her away! So I did! Looks like its complete, front brake levers busted as is the clutch lever, and the seat is pooched, no battery. Will this bike start without the battery? if i use the kicker? and not sure of the year, 2L0 are the first 3# in the vin, and theres 2 listings for this, 78' and 79'? thanks in advance
full

full

Looks pretty nice for $50! You'll need a battery because the charging system doesn't do anything at all until it has 12v. It needs power to make power because it's an electromagnet.

Also, welcome to the site!

I'm in Kelowna. Let me know if you end up needing any parts, I've got 2 of these bikes that I'm about to start rebuilding, and I might have some spares kicking around. Also, merritt motorcycle salvage has a pretty good collection of parts for these, although they are pretty expensive.

wow. an i thought i got a good deal for 150 lol. nice find it looks pretty sharp. no surface rust, seats are overrated, and no dents in the tank it looks like. nice find. welcome to the forum man. its always great to have another:thumbsup:

thanks guys, just been going thro the site here, takin stuff in. It appears to me that my bike has whats called the pod air filters on it, and the stock pipes. Im gonna try to start it tommorrow, and I read about the full choke, no gas till its warm thing, anything else I should check or do? Ive worked on all sorts of engines before so I know to go over the basics first, but is there any other tips?

Back